2002 Yammie 115 2s Saltwater - Power loss

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good Friday was a perfect day on the water so on the way home after a bit of trolling I opened up the 2-banger to around 5300 and enjoyed the sound of a well tuned motor in full cry (for about ten minutes). Slowed down into the channel, take it off the plane back to trolling speed and the motor coughs and stops. Restarts 1st time but no power above an "idle" to limp back to the ramp. Will rev out of gear. No alarms. Not "hot". Tell-tale OK. No oil sprays in cowling. No fun!<br /><br />What have I done?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 Yammie 115 2s Saltwater - Power loss

check the spark(change the plugs) and compression then try it with a different fuel tank and line to begin with.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

test spark, test compression, if the first two are good inspect the fuel system. anything else is a guess.

whiteman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I'm not a mechanic so the motor will soon be in the hands of a local "expert". I'll post the results for future diagnosis.<br /><br />However, as this was one of the rare times I'"ve pushed the motor into WOT, I was wondering if the motor self governs so it can't "redline" and do heaps of damage?