2002 Yamaha XLT 1200 winterization

Scott06

Vice Admiral
A good friend just picked this ski up earlier in the summer. He asked if I could help him winterize it this weekend.

Any one know what is required? I've seen a lot of videos saying Yammies are slef draining just rev it up, which I find hard to belive.

I have done my mercruiser powered boats and our 2004 Seadoo for years so not new to marine maintenace. For my seadoo this is my approach

Stabil in gas tank before ride to jank it
Run 3 gal AF through it
Change jet pump lube
Fog engine
Grease the couple nipples
take battery inside

Assume Yammie is similar but would love to hear from those more familar with that make

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
They should technically expel any water if it’s ran with a few blips of the throttle. But I and most I know, always did this then ran some antifreeze through it by gravity, through the hose flushing attachment. Fog it whilst doing this and a quick grease around her. Cover everything with inhibitor oil too. Job done !

Scott06

Vice Admiral
They should technically expel any water if it’s ran with a few blips of the throttle. But I and most I know, always did this then ran some antifreeze through it by gravity, through the hose flushing attachment. Fog it whilst doing this and a quick grease around her. Cover everything with inhibitor oil too. Job done !
Ok I was leary of just blowing the water out but that confirms it. This is in a very cold area so I think worth the $20 of AF...

Is there jet pump lube to change like on my Seadoo? And if so is it obvious wher the drain/fill ports are? I havent found any youtubes on this so Im asusming it is greased only during teardown? Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok I was leary of just blowing the water out but that confirms it. This is in a very cold area so I think worth the $20 of AF...

Is there jet pump lube to change like on my Seadoo?
No lube to change Scott. Yeah. Well worth while throwing AF through it, if you are somewhere cold. I’m in Scotland. Always did it with my old GP800R and the later Fxho, if I knew I wasn’t going to be using them through winter or through a cold snap. But technically, if the ski is tilted to the rear…a few blips of the throttle does get 99% of the water out. I just never took a chance on it and played safe with AF…if I knew it was going to sit for a while. I never fogged the fxho for fear of messing up modern sensors. But did it with the carb gp (2 cylinder version of the 1200 you refer to).
just if you were interested…I’d recommend blocking off the oil injection on that engine Scott. Pre mix. I’d also look up online issues around the power valves on that engine too. If it’s the xlt…I’d think it’s the later 1200 engine that has power valves. They can occasionaly drop into the way of the piston. You can get clips that stop this happening and avoiding a total failure. Wave eater make the clips I mean. Other than that…as per usual…great engines from Yamaha. Advise a top end rebuild every 100 hours to keep things in good order. If she goes much over that without one…you run the risk of a much bigger total rebuild. Very easy to work on usually. Enjoyable too, even. Keep the thing greased well too. There is a grease nipple at the rear of the engine that does the output to pump. Keep the line clear of hard old grease to make sure the grease actually gets to where it’s supposed to.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
No lube to change Scott. Yeah. Well worth while throwing AF through it, if you are somewhere cold. I’m in Scotland. Always did it with my old GP800R and the later Fxho, if I knew I wasn’t going to be using them through winter or through a cold snap. But technically, if the ski is tilted to the rear…a few blips of the throttle does get 99% of the water out. I just never took a chance on it and played safe with AF…if I knew it was going to sit for a while. I never fogged the fxho for fear of messing up modern sensors. But did it with the carb gp (2 cylinder version of the 1200 you refer to).
just if you were interested…I’d recommend blocking off the oil injection on that engine Scott. Pre mix. I’d also look up online issues around the power valves on that engine too. If it’s the xlt…I’d think it’s the later 1200 engine that has power valves. They can occasionaly drop into the way of the piston. You can get clips that stop this happening and avoiding a total failure. Wave eater make the clips I mean. Other than that…as per usual…great engines from Yamaha. Advise a top end rebuild every 100 hours to keep things in good order. If she goes much over that without one…you run the risk of a much bigger total rebuild. Very easy to work on usually. Enjoyable too, even. Keep the thing greased well too. There is a grease nipple at the rear of the engine that does the output to pump. Keep the line clear of hard old grease to make sure the grease actually gets to where it’s supposed to.
Thanks for the info. I'll pass that on. Its not my wave runner, I suspect my friend paid little enough to just enjoy it as is.. the PO already replaced the engine so I hope some of these things have been done already..

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the info. I'll pass that on. Its not my wave runner, I suspect my friend paid little enough to just enjoy it as is.. the PO already replaced the engine so I hope some of these things have been done already..
No probs. Just tell him to be very aware of those power valves.