2002 Volvo 5.7 Base timing spec and suggested spark plug

AlanKosh

Recruit
Does anyone know what the base timing spec is. When I put the engine in base timing mode it is at about 15 degrees on the advance. I am trying to run down a EMfi 4 ignition 2002.

I am trying to run down a problem with the engine shutting for down a couple of seconds and have eliminated fuel as the issue. I am wondering if the wrong advance could shut down the engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy, could use a motor serial number?
Having a MEFI-4 ECM helps

alldodge

Staff member
The serial number doesn't show up but the GXI-C does
The distributor shows up has the HVS and it is not adjusted with a timing light. Its Exact TDC on number one, then distributor is aligned as shown in pic

This is Merc but same for VP

HVS Distributor Timing.jpg

AlanKosh

Recruit
Thank you I appreciate your response. As I understand it you need to put the engine in base timing mode. Then set the initial timing with a advance light. a little confusing as volvo says 10 degrees and some set to 0?

alldodge

Staff member
If you have a distributor cap that looks like the one below, there is no base timing mode

HVS V8 Cap.jpg

AlanKosh

Recruit
Yes that type of cap. Volvo says setting should be 10 degrees. Engine runs well just seems to be off on the base timing. So what is the easiest way to set the initial timing? You can cetainly see the marker for the timing light and the mark on the harmonic balancer move while rotating the distributor? Excuse my ignorance and Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Guess you got me at a disadvantage because I have not seen a timing mark on a motor which had the flat top cap. Not if a scanner is being used to determine timing I would agree, just not seeing it on the damper

Here is what are super tech @muc said how to time the VP with this type cap
HVS Distributor install by MUC 12/15/2018

9. Install the distributor cap.
10. Install the new distributor cap screws. Tighten the screws to 2.4
Nm (21 in. lb.)
11. Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
12. Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
13. Install the ignition coil wire to the distributor cap
Important: If the malfunction indicator lamp illuminates
after installing the distributor and a DTC is set, the distributor
has been installed incorrectly.
Check the cam angle with a scan tool to ensure the
cam angle is correct.

AlanKosh

Recruit
Guess you got me at a disadvantage because I have not seen a timing mark on a motor which had the flat top cap. Not if a scanner is being used to determine timing I would agree, just not seeing it on the damper

Here is what are super tech @muc said how to time the VP with this type cap
Thank you what would the spec be for the cam angle. Yes the block was changed about 150 hours ago. I guess if i went in base timing mode which turns off the ecm, and set it to 0 it would accomplish the same thing?

Last edited: