2002 tracker pro crappie 50 hp mercury - need advice.

grandpamike

Recruit
I am looking at couple of used boats. The one is a 2002 pro crappie 50 hp 2 stroke mercury. Private one owner, looks like it was hardly used, husband died and wife is now trying to sell. They have a 9.9 hp also on it that they mainly used for trolling and the smaller lakes they fished. The wife says there is hardly any hours on the 50 hp. 9.9 will be sold seperately. My question is do I need to worry about seals, corrosion, etc, if the 50 was hardly used? Asking $6300.00 It has a custom cover and Bimini top. Is the 50 hp big enough for this boat?

The other is a 2004 targa 16' wt 60 hp 4 stroke in good condition asking
$8300.00. Through a Tracker dealer.

I have a 15' Richline tri hull 1977 Suzuki 50 hp. Been good to me but transom is rottening out.

Need advice - Any info greatly appreciated - Thanks.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 tracker pro crappie 50 hp mercury - need advice.

What are you looking to do with the boat and what kind of water you plan to use it on? The targa is a bigger and heavier boat that will handle larger water due to the deeper V and wider beam. The pro crappie is a stable platform for calmer waters, doesn't have as deep a V (basically a modified v) and shallower cockpit, but still capable. Do note, that the Targa package weight is significantly heavier. Not sure about comparing the two older boats you're looking, but the modern comparisons show that the Targa package is over a 1000 lbs heavier, so you should consider your tow vehicle as well.

As for your concerns about the motor, I doubt you should need to worry about corrosion. If you are concerned, put some muffs on it, start the motor, and see how it runs. Or better yet, if she's willing, take the boat out for a spin at a nearby lake.