2002 Mercury 40hp fuel issue

Chamelion

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there,

My motor has developed an issue where I can prime it and as soon as it's hard the fuel seems to start draining back into the tank. This happens on two different tanks and two different bulbs (one brand new). If turn the motor off and let it sit for a few minutes it won't start again until I re-prime it with the bulb.

I've got new hose clamps on the lines and I can't see any damage to them.

This problem has only started since I did a de-carb, whether or not it's related I'm not sure.

Matt.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 Mercury 40hp fuel issue

Have you got the bulbs in the fuel lines installed correctly ?? If you do it may be a bad fuel pump.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bulb should have an arrow on it showing the direction of flow, make sure the bulb's installed with the arrow pointing toward the motor.
The bulbs have an integral check valve to stop fuel going back to the tank. What do you mean when you said you did a de-carb ?

M

Maxz695

A)#1 check the vent on the tank be it 6 gal plastic removable or #2 onboard fuel tank vent.Replace any old hose that may be crimped or blocked by bug debris. or open remvable tank vent. B)Check all fuel line connections and hoses for air leaks. Check all fittings from the tank to the carbs including all filters that may be clogged. C) Remove the carbs and check needle and seats as well as the fuel pump check valves or diaphram>