2002 MERC 125 saltwater

2dreamx

Recruit
hey guys. new to the forum so first let me take a minute to say hello. i apologize for the length of this post ahead of time.

im new to boating. just bought my first boat a few months ago. mainly using it for saltwater fishing out of DE. bought a 18' robalo CC with a dry weight of 2700lbs. bought it knowing it needed some work. on our first trip out in it we could hardly get it moving. at WOT motor was running at 4200 RPM and boat was moving at about 5 mph. could not even get on a plane. after toying around and not being able to figure it out i took it to a local shop.

the shop took me for $1000. they said timing was off, cleaned carbs and fuel lines, added a ventilated prop (just drilled holes in my old one?) and added a stingray fin on the bottom of the unit. after we got the boat back it ran better. roughly 5100 rpm and maxed out between 25 and 30 mph but still slow to get on a plane.

it ran well for a couple weeks and then last weekend we were out fishing and it felt like it had no power again. it dropped back down to 4500 rpm until it got on a plane then it would shoot up to about 4800 but couldnt even break the mph gauge.

what do you guys think? think it could be something as simple as a prop? i have no idea im completely new to all of this.

also it has a rought start, but i hear that is common for the 2002 mercs.

2dreamx

Recruit
Re: 2002 MERC 125 saltwater

Anyone?

also, its on a 1993 robalo 18' center console.