2002 Larson 234 Escape

jcarpenrn

Recruit
Got a good deal on 2002 234 Escape deck boat. This was an "as is" repo. Runs great. However, when I turn the key on I get an audible alarm that stops once the engine is running. Where should I start looking?

Attachments

• Our newest boat.jpg
    Our newest boat.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Larson 234 Escape

Possibly lower unit gear lube alarm. I forget if that is standard before start up... Check the gear lube reserve.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I forgot to say congrats on a nice boat!

jcarpenrn

Recruit

Gear Lube was fine. Still have the alarm. Breaker is not tripped. Oh well. I will probably take it to the shop tomorrow. After all, I did buy "as is." Better to check it out professionally than pay big bucks later. Thanks for the reply.

singleski

Cadet

I have a 2005 Larson 208LXi :D and it has the same alarm when turning the ignition to the on position, even if not starting. I believe that these were installed for swimmer and skier safety to clear away from the prop :eek: as the boat is being started. I previousely owned a 1998 Bayliner 175 Capri and it did not have this feature. However, my 2 brother-in-laws cuddy cabin & cruiser both have this feature as well as my father-in-laws cabin cruiser. I am sure it is the same as mine and merely a safety:) feature. If you turn the key to the on position while on shore, to say turn on the radio, does the alarm sound until the ignition is shut-off or does it stop after a short time? If it shuts off after a short time, 5-10 seconds, than it is nothing more than an alarm like mine. Nice looking boat, happy boating!

jcarpenrn

Recruit

Thanks, singleski. The alarm is continuous. I put in ear plugs and turned it off after 2 minutes. But thanks for letting me know how the alarm is supposed to work. :)

singleski

Cadet

That is odd that it would continue to "run" for that long. Is it a high pitched chirp? If so, I would assume this is the same alarm and that the alarm is merely malfunctioning. Does the alarm "run" if you turn the key backward towards the accessory mode? On my boat it only sounds when turning toward the ignition, like I said before as a signal to clear the way of the motor, it shouldn't sound if turning backwards to the accessory. If it does sound when turning backwards it is definately a malfunctioning alarm. As far as finding the source, put the ear plugs back in and trace the sound, to me it always sounds as if it is coming directly from the under the dash because the engine compartment is soundly sealed. Good luck.

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

The alarm is for 3 things: high engine temp, low oil pressure, and low gear lube. When you first turn the key on, you have no oil pressure, so it goes off. It's also a way to make sure the alarm is working. Once the engine fires up, you get oil pressure, and the alarm should go off within a second or two of the engine starting. If it's staying on for a couple of minutes, you got something else wrong.

Since you said you checked the gear lube and it was OK, and since the engine wasn't running long enough to overheat, I'd check your engine oil.