2002 johnson 150 very hard warm start. heat soak

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well this 2002 johnson 150 has always had a little warm start problem since new. It is a fairly low hour motor with great compression. The thing runs great and idles good when cold. If you shut it off and let it sit for more than 10 min forget it. It takes like 10 or more tries to get it going. It will start and barley idle and will not take any throttle. The primer or pumping the bulb doesn't help. I just did the carbs a second time. I did them last year. This time time I used oem kits and put new float bowls on. I replaced every gasket from the block out and checked the reeds. Still have the same warm start problem. So should I take a look at the ignition now? I also rebuilt the vapor separator with a new needle and seat. Also has a new oms pump and good flow from the gas tank. I'm so sick of this thing what should I look at next? Sorry for any spelling this is from my phone.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2002 johnson 150 very hard warm start. heat soak

I also replaced the primer bulb.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Have you tried using the fast idle lever during warm starts? Many folks don't even know they have one!

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same problem. I have started to use the fast idle lever as Silvertip mentioned. I am now experimenting with different techniques. This was also mentioned by Chris as he has the same motor.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it wont even try to start in fast idle....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Is the shift assist switch stuck? I am starting to see that more and more on my '98 Johnny 150HPV6.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to bump this back up. I feel defeated by this dumb thing. I'm a mechanic and this thing just has me stumped. Last summer I did every thing in the first post and I ohmed out everything. Pulled the flywheel and checked the stator too. I ended up just throwing a optical sensor and power pack on it because I was just fed up and hoping for the best. I will say those too things seemed to help but it still isn't right. Anybody? This thing has done this from almost day one. When it was under warranty a couple places looked at it and couldn't fix it.