2002 four winns 240 horizon won’t start

4w240h02

Recruit
2002 four winns 240 horizon ran great all day when I docked it to get the trailer it never started again it turns over and sputters but won’t stay started. Thought I ran out of gas but that’s not the problem when I looked under the engine compartment I notice the hose from my fuel input on the out side of the boat going to my fuel tank has a good fuel leak I’m going to get that fixed tomorrow but it shouldn’t have any thing to do with it not starting right? I just bought this boat a couple weeks ago it had been winterized in 2015 and set in a airplane hanger since. I drained the fuel and replaced the battery oil was still brand new and I added fuel carb and injector cleaner to the fuel after a couple runs but it has been running awesome until last night.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

So, the fuel fill line is leaking inside the boat :eek: and you ran the boat :eek: :rolleyes:

Is there fuel inside the boat somewhere? Didn't you smell fuel?

Get the fuel leak fixed and any gasoline in the hull taken care of, then focus on the engine.

4w240h02

Recruit
Yeah it starting leaking that day and I didn’t smell it until I opened the engine compartment. It says in the post I will have that fixed tomorrow thanks.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well it’s likely that the not starting is a separate problem, but one thing I’d do for sure is check ALL of the rubber hoses for the entire fuel system for stiffness and cracks. Replace anything that looks questionable and I would also use install a gas vapor fume detector; in my opinion all inboard gas boats should have them just like you have CO, smoke and nat gas detectors in your house. Reason being that the potential consequence of a fuel leak in a gas inboard boat are disastrous and deadly. I installed one about 7 years ago on my boat....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yeah it starting leaking that day and I didn’t smell it until I opened the engine compartment. It says in the post I will have that fixed tomorrow thanks.

PS you are actually lucky it did not start, that caused you to start looking around and you found the problem! Imagine running the boat with fuel sloshing into the bilge and it fills to the point where it turns on the auto bilge switch!