2002 EFI problem

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice
My 2002 Mercury 115 4 cycle ran fine at the end of season. This year appears to have no fuel out of injectors. Engine will run by squirting fuel in intakes. Removed line from pump and fuel went everywhere. All of the injectors appear dead. Is there a fuse somewhere?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 EFI problem

To trouble shoot this please check the following:
Do you hear electric pump come on for about 5 seconds when key is turned to on? If not you have a electrical problem to fuel pump or pump is faulty.
If it does run, remove drain plug on Vapor seperator tank that fuel pump is mounted in and drain it. Pump primer bulb and fuel should start draining from it. If not the internal float is stuck ,not allowing fuel into tank. If you need more help post back your results.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

I'll have to dig around on the engine and see if I can find an electic fuel pump. I thought the pump was on the back of the engine. I'll try tracing the fuel line. The injectors have power. I can pump the bulb while spraying fuel in intake and it is hard as a rock. Any idea what the tire stem fitting like valve on top of the fuel water manafold is for. If it is a fuel pressure port, I'll get a guage and see if there is any pressure present. The installation manuals that came with the boat don't indicate it has an electic fuel pump. The Mercury installation manual with it indicates if an electric pump is installed, it is to have no more than 4lb psi. I could probably pick up a electic fuel pump and rig it in the system. I have a device I use to find where engine noise is coming from on my cars. I can have my wife turn the engine over while I listen to an injector and see if it is making any sound at all. I was leaning toward the ECU until I looked up the price.

blackbox

Seaman

there are two fuel pumps on your motor. the one on the back is a lift/vacume type pump. it pulls fuel out of the fuel tank and feeds it to the vapor seperator. the electric fuel pump is inside the vapor seporator.
the "tire valve" is used to take high presure fuel pump(elertric) readings.(35psi+-)

its not the e.c.u!
follow FAZTBULLITS steps in his thread --he gave good advice!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

From what you posted that bulb is hard as a rock ,i believe float is stuck. The drain screw is #16 in diagram and float is #5. Be real careful if you remove the VST tank as o-ring for cover and pump screen are expensive. If you not comfortable with it let a qualified shop repair it for you.

Attachments

• 1133.jpg
    1133.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 0

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

I went back and looked again and found almost everything you said. If I can get my wife to work the key for me, I should be able to finish up figuring it out tomorrow. Can you get to the fuel pump drain and cover with the lower side panel removed. Am I going to have to pull the intake manafold to actually get at the pump? If it is the pump or float, I'll get it out of there one way or another. At least if I tear it up, I know who to blame, Me. I have a digital camera and tools so I am good to go. Usually my biggest problem is forgetting where I laid all the nuts and bolts I took off.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

Pulled side cowl and drained bowl. Injected cleaner in line from vacumn lift pump and it came all the way and drained out. Has power at connector for pump, but no sound. Will pull the bolts and the lines I can see and try to snake it out from behind manafold. If that doesn't work will pull manafold. Sure would have been easier if they had put it on the otherside of the motor instead of hiding it behnd the intake.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

Pulled intake manafold, which turned out to be fairly straight forward, in about an hour. Removed pump from bowl and tested, it was dead. Mercury must use Mitsubishi parts since their logo is on the top of the pump and it has a UC-T30 part number on it. Yahoo keeps saying that is a Mitsubishi part, but I can't seem to find it to look at it. Most Mitsubishi pumps on ebay are about $50 so I think I'll look a while before I kick out the $300+ for the Mercury part.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bill, that motor is the Yamaha built for Mercury so use the Yamaha part number(68V-13907-00-00)to replace it and skip middle man. Go to Boats.net and type in part number,they have it priced at $276.17.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

Took the part to O-Riley and they matched it except it had push on lugs instead of screw on. $100 including tax. New one has internal screen, where the one I took out didn't have anything. Putting it back took less time than taking it off. I blame the whole problem on myself. I winterized the RV sitting next to the boat and forgot to do the same for the boat. This is the second Mercury I have had a problem with fuel turning to varnish in the float bowl over the winter. The fuel in the tank was fine, just the stuff in the bowl and injector manifold smelled when I drained it. The engine is on a 25ft pontoon and there is not a disconnect for the fuel. I guess I need lots of stabalizer in the fuel next fall. Thanks for everyones help.

G

I just had the same problem with the Suzuki 50HP 4 stroke engine. The fuel pump is the UC-T30. I found a cross reference on the internet at a China parts web site. The follow part numbers are for Cars from Ford to Toyota the numbers are. Airtex E2111, Carter P72205 & Walbro GCA355. Auto Zone cares the Airtex part for $198.00.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

I made it to some site in China, but never made the cross to a part number I could find. I appreciate the numbers. I don't seem to have much luck with fuel pumps lately. I had to change the one in my RV tank last fall and I couldn't cross it either. I have gotten where I just take it in and hand it to the guy and tell him I need fuel injector pressure of over 40 psi. I just cut the wires and put new terminals on the one in the Mercury. It ran fine on the trailer, but I'm putting it in the lake tomorrow to be sure I have enough flow under full throttle. That was where I first noticed a problem. The engine would miss at full throttle, then at 3/4, then half. At first I thought it was plugs, but now it appears the pump was going bad all along.

MMTech1

Cadet

Took the part to O-Riley and they matched it except it had push on lugs instead of screw on. $100 including tax. New one has internal screen, where the one I took out didn't have anything.

What was the part number of the pump you got from O-Reilly. $100 including tax is a good price. I need one. My pump has turned green from bad fuel.