2002 25 hp rebuild

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
Son ran it hot, lost compression on top piston set for 2 years, let a kid rebuild it with 2 new pistons and rings. Has spark and fuel can’t get it to crank even with starting fluid. Thanks for all input

airshot

Rear Admiral
Toss the starting fluid as it can damage the new cylinders/ pistons by stripping away the oil. Use WD40 or other spray petrol product

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
Switched plug wires and cranked immediately but would not stay running, going to rebuild carb

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
After further inspection going to purchase new carb, fuel filter an lp fuel pump.

airshot

Rear Admiral
After further inspection going to purchase new carb, fuel filter an lp fuel pump.
Even a new carb should be setup/ adjusted to specs for your motor, often they are setbup for a variety of different motors right out of the box..

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
Will do, The original carb set outside in weather for along time I've taken it off many times and cleaned but probably not sufficient. Lots off Dirt daubers in East Texas!

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
All new stuff on but still no crank. Found fuel leak at the bottom right of crank case. Bolts not torqued properly would be my guess.
My question is should there be a sealant used on the mating surfaces of the crank case. Any professional advice is appreciated. Thank you

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
When engine does try to start more fuel seeps out. Time to torque

Attachments

• fuelleak.jpg
    fuelleak.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
He forgot to seal crank case, headed for loctite 518

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
You're going to need to disassemble to seal it correctly.

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
Tore down, cleaned it really well, lightly sanded with 1200 grit, used Anaerobic sealant and torqued the bolts. Letting it sit for 48 hrs. before I start to reassemble. Screwed up the alternator and exciter coils with the bolts from the flywheel ( dumb, dumb, dumb ). I will never gripe about what boat mechanics charge per hour again!!!!

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Great, hopefully it will work. Not knowing which sealant you used, I'm hopeful you chose one for engines that will be tolerant of gas and oil.

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
Permatex 51813 is the only Anaerobic one I could find at Auto part store. It said it's ideal for Crankcase applications and is solvent resistant. Crossing my fingers. Still have it sitting on bench curing. If anyone thinks this brand of sealant is not going to work let me know before it goes back in.
Thanks

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
All back together still no crank.
Only thing I can think of is the new excitor had on 1 red wire coming off and a black ground mounted into bolt hole. The old excitor had 2 wires

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I gave up and got a Tohatsu service manual. Studying section 7 now pages 193-268, Paying close attn. to page 214! Ignition System Performance Testing Flow Chart

Ad88

Seaman Apprentice
Put everything back together, fired Right up was idling hi so cho Choked it to kill it. I guess I flooded it gonna let it sit overnight.