2001 Yamaha 50hp tlrz 2 stroke with prime start system starts and dies

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I will get the new CDI Box on Tuesday and check all the settings again and also check the timing setting needed to run the motor before I install the new CDI Box. Should know if the problem is fixed sometime on Wednesday. Thanks, Tom
hopefully you have a timing light to check this

tdave

Cadet
Using timing light in the bright Texas sunlight I read 2-4 degrees BTDC is where I can get the motor to run and stay running. This reading was done before changing out the CDI Box. The new box was not exactly plug and play because the metal pointer, needle arrow on the new CDI Box was flat and hit the hex nut as the throttle linkage was moved. Was able to use the old pointer by doing minor filing to the square bolt hole.

Installed new CDI Box and double checked all settings and fired the engine up. Engine fired right up to about 2000 rpm and after about a minute slowed down to about 800 RPM. It ran for about another minute then started to misfire or chirp every 3-4 seconds. Discovered the fuel bulb will not stay primed/firm (new issue since last time). Disconnected the new gas hose from motor and squeezed the bulb and it stayed hard/firm. Engine will stay running if you keep squeezing the bulb. So now I have an issue with what sounds like backfire and fuel pressure to the Carbs. Fuel pump was new last year. Could vacuum lines be an issue, I do not see much about them in my repair manual.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
sounds like a lean sneeze.
and pump is not doing its job if pumping the primer bulb helps.
check to make sure pump is still good,
and the idle jets/passages are feeding the fuel needed for each cylinder