2001 Yamaha 200 HPDI - engine cut out

dibs

Recruit
The last few times out my engine has cut out (stalled) for just a split second while running at high speeds, then it continues to run like nothing happened. It jerks the boat like you just hit something or ran through a patch of weeds or grass, but doesn't stop it. The first time it did it I had just switched the fuel tanks so I thought maybe that somehow caused air to get in the line, but this weekend it did it twice and it was long after I switched the fuel tanks. Since I've owned the boat, the primer ball has never gotten hard when you squeezed it, but I've never had this problem either. Could an air leak in the fuel line be causing this? Any suggestions? :confused:

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: 2001 Yamaha 200 HPDI - engine cut out

sounds like a bad vst filter or sticking float in there

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys! I seem to be having the exact same problem as the above poster. I have a 2001 150 hpdi, and it jerks and stalls instantaneously for multiple times whenever i try to get up on plane. I replaced the filter in the water/fuel separator. I also noticed today that when i give the engine more gas, the water fuel separator does not refill with gas to the highest level. I have to pump the bulb to keep the water/fuel separator filled with gas. The engine continues to idle fine, but stumbles when i give it more gas. I am wondering if it is a fuel pump problem, since the water/fuel separator does not fill back up?
I dont think there is a blockage in the feeding line, since i can pump more gas in fine by squeezing the bulb.
Please help me figure out if this is a fuel pump, air in the system, or fuel filter problem!
If it is a fuel filter problem, could you please give me advice as to which filter could possibly be causing the problem.

Thanks,
Ben

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could be fuel pumps; however you most likely have a clogged VST filter and/or medium pressure filter.

Read this entire post and click on the links and read those too.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=291099

There are pictures and all.

I also remember reading about an inline check valve that came out with the earlier hpdi's that has since been removed. check out part #25. If your motor has it, chuck it.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2001/Z150TXRZ/FUEL 1/parts.html

What maint history has been done? provide details!
You do not want to run an hpdi motor in this lean condition too long.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

folks ya gotta remember whar the primer bulb does, it simply primes the VST or float bowls amd the low pressure or lift pump.
its a universl thing used on almost every outboard with a remote tank since about 1959.
as its on the suction side there is no phyical way it cn stay firm.
its simply 8th grade phyical science and the liquid surfce ttraction of molecules.
the engine filter cup cannot stay full for the same reason however the surface molecular attraction of a liquid comes into play yet again as well as a pressure differential between the liquid level in the fuel tank and the lower pressure found in the filter cup,
back to the isue now.
the 200 HPDI problem sounds like the medium pressure(50 PSI) supply is being lost between the VST and the high pressure (750 PSI) system.
I would service the VST,replace the medium pressure inline filter and replace both lift pumps and retest.
a fuel system vacum check would also be a good maint idea as well.

BTF
your issue is going to most likly be the same but keep your issue seperate.
the info you posted on this thread is what was asked for on the your thread and it aint there.
your complaint of stalling simply indicates it quits, your further description of the problem helps ID the issue but on the wrong thread.
you guys running Z motors in the 150-200 HP range and between 200 and 2003 really really MUST read the tech bulliten on identifying the correct plug by the ign coil primary connector color and if running a duel electrode plug the bulliten on how to check/set the electrode gap. there are two for that.
there were some running changes on the ECU and on a case by case basi the older ECU's were updated to the later but the EPA tag, the service manul and the yellow tag under the hood was not.
technically it probably broke at least 4 federal and about 2 state laws in most states but trust me it was done anyway.