2001 Vista 268 Battery Switch

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Hello
Guys someone did a number on my boat and stole the batteries for my 2001 Vista 268 trying to reconnect the batteries but I have a few questions. I have attached the images hopefully you can read my text on the second image and point in the right direction on how to wire the batterie switch

Thanks

Alonso

Attachments

• PXL_20230103_203224594.jpg
    PXL_20230103_203224594.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230103_203234777_label.jpg
    PXL_20230103_203234777_label.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10

alldodge

Staff member
Negative sides on both Bats get connected together along with any other grounds

circuits.jpg

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, Alldodge just one final question
Two of the black wires will come from the batteries and the other goes to the block engine to ground it, correct?

Also what type of starting battery do you recommend for the boat?

Thanks

Alonso

alldodge

Staff member
Your correct, but I would suggest connect all large Bat grounds direct to engine block. Should have a stud on the rear of bell housing to connect. Then connect smaller 10AWG wire from block up to where they connect now.

The way it is now will work

Don't know which motor you have but suggest a group 27 or 31 with around 800 CCA

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, guys i just finished connecting everything... Do any of you know where Is hook up the windless unfortunately they cut that wire and I could not trace the wire?

Thanks

Alonso

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah i see control box that is near the windless, but can't find the other end of the wire to connect it to... Here is wiring diagram i was able to pull from the manual.

1672841243151.png

alldodge

Staff member
The diagram doesn't show the windless, it was an option but not shown

You said the end of the wire in mp pic listed as going to the windless is cut?
If it is it does make since why it would be cut unless the windless was removed, is it still there?

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, I have not been able to find schematics with the Windless option. Yes, everything is there including the windless and the control box in the front of the boat. The Battery switch does have a circuit breaker switch to turn windless off/on.

Alonso
1672842799250.png

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
Have one final question regarding the connection of the battery switch
Bat 1 on the schematics attached goes to engine starting battery, Bat two goes to house battery.... Where does the starter wire go to? Feeder?
1675090322272.png

alldodge

Staff member
With more review it looks like the wiring is not connected the way most all are. Instead of the Bat switch being used as a connection to/from the start Bat and motor, it appears its only used to parallel the Start and House Bats if needed; otherwise its just used for the house side only.

There should be 2 wires coming off the Start Bat + terminal, one going to the Bat 1 side of switch, and other going to the Start post.

The House Bat + terminal goes to Bat 2 side of switch, and Feeder post goes to Breakers on the panel. The wire I marked as "Starter" in my post pic was probably added later by prior owner.

This way the motor only charges the Start Bat and the House is charged by an onboard charger

The typical way a 3 position Bat switch is wired is below. Note the motor only gets power thru the switch. This may be why the other cable shows up in your pic
Yours can work same way with main cables
Two Bat one switch.jpg

4now04

Seaman
From my experience with my 268, I understand that the Four Winns 268 is wired a little different than many other boats, including the 248. Continental1971's original post has a photo of the Battery switch panel. The rotary battery selector switch determines which battery (or both) supply power to the engine and the starter.

The Positive cables from both batteries go to the Rotary switch. The "Ships Systems" Toggle Switch connects the House Battery to the House electrical systems. I believe there is a short heavy gauge jumper wire connecting the House Battery terminal on the rotary switch to the House Systems switch, and another heavy jumper wire to the Windlass Switch. These two switches each have their own circuit breakers (approx 80 amp) next to the switches.

The 268's alternator output goes through a Battery Isolator to charge both battery banks. The Battery Isolator contributes to a 1 volt drop between the alternator and the battery. This and wire gauge between the battery and the ships systems lead to more of a voltage drop which can cause some components to not operate as desired.

continental1971

Seaman Apprentice
From my experience with my 268, I understand that the Four Winns 268 is wired a little different than many other boats, including the 248. Continental1971's original post has a photo of the Battery switch panel. The rotary battery selector switch determines which battery (or both) supply power to the engine and the starter.

The Positive cables from both batteries go to the Rotary switch. The "Ships Systems" Toggle Switch connects the House Battery to the House electrical systems. I believe there is a short heavy gauge jumper wire connecting the House Battery terminal on the rotary switch to the House Systems switch, and another heavy jumper wire to the Windlass Switch. These two switches each have their own circuit breakers (approx 80 amp) next to the switches.

The 268's alternator output goes through a Battery Isolator to charge both battery banks. The Battery Isolator contributes to a 1 volt drop between the alternator and the battery. This and wire gauge between the battery and the ships systems lead to more of a voltage drop which can cause some components to not operate as desired.
Do you happen to know if the starter wire goes directly to Feeder (Battery Switch) or goes directly to the starting battery?

Thanks

4now04

Seaman
I believe that the starter cable connects to the rotary switch terminal. The rotary switch should have three terminals, one for the engine battery, one for the house battery, and one that provides power to the engine systems and to the starter. I looked at some pictures I had taken of the engine compartment. Both negative battery cables go to the engine block. Both positive cables go to the rotary switch. Your photo in the first post that Alldodge enlarged shows this. hope this helps.

I have two Group 31 deep cycle house batteries and one group 27 engine starting battery.

Last edited: