2001 Optimax 225: free replacement?

Good Sport

Cadet
My friend has had ongoing problems with this motor. Without going into detail, it has been "repaired" numerous times only to re-offend.<br />It seems that Merc just wants to keep stringing him along til the warranty runs out in 2004.<br /><br />I'm telling him to fight for a new motor to replace his lemon. Has anyone had any success doing this?

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 Optimax 225: free replacement?

Please go into details! I for one, would be interested to know what is going on with your friend's motor and what Merc has done (or not done) to help your friend. I would find it suprizing if they do replace it (doesn't happen often). Keep us updated! :p

grandpa

Cadet

I am the friend with the 2001 Mercury Optimax Saltwater series outboard. It came new on my 2509 Trophy. Early on the factory issued what they call a "campaign"..I call it a recall. They sent me a letter advising that I bring the motor back to the dealer for upgrades. This was shortly after I got the motor. Up until this letter came I had no problems with the motor and was quite satisfied with the performance and efficiency. After the repairs were done which amounted to over $3,000 in replacement parts such as fuel rails and a computer I took the boat back and a short while later the problems they were trying to prevent occured. They described the problem as fouling of #4 spark plug. Well AFTER the repairs the problem of fouling occured on the first day of a week's fishing vacation. The plugs fouled and performance suffered severely. I took it back for further repairs and found that virtually no shop in the Seattle area was equipped with the some $13,000 in test gear required to work on it and no shop seemed to have a technician qualified to trouble shoot the problem. Eventually the Mercury factory technician in this area was summoned to replace fuel and air injectors with new upgraded versions. Again the problem was cured for a very short time until it reoccurred. The third time I took it to the dealer the factory representative recommended which was a one and one half hour drive from my home. This dealer was a branch of the dealership I purchased the boat and motor from. The boat sat in the shop for three weeks with no progress. Finally I got upset and , again, the factory technician showed up on a Friday and installed new thermostats and who knows what else. He said he ran it in the water for over an hour and a half. When I got it back the performance was much better than when it was new and I was pleased. I since then have put many hours on the boat with no failures until this past weekend when the fouling reoccurred again. Now today I called Mercury and told the rep that I wanted a new motor since they obviously cannot permanently cure the problem that keeps reoccurring. He got real short with me and pretty much ruled that option out saying that my warranty only covered repairs. <br /><br />Well I have done lots of research and have found that the 2001 Optimax was pulled from the market intially and dealers were told to not sell their current inventory. I have not discovered whether or not my motor was in that category or whether it came out later in the year. I do know that I am not alone in having these problems. Tomorrow I take the boat in once again to see what the same Mercury rep will come up with this time. If only I could find a group of people in the country who have had the same experiences to see if anyone has had a new motor given or what the eventual outcomes have been. :mad: <br /><br />email me if you like at ssande1@aol.com

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

I too have seen and heard of the many problems on the Opti's. Just the term "Optimax" is making people shy away. Many people will be watching this so keep the board updated regularly. I own many mercurys but these Optis will soon be eliminated(or called something different). I think these problems will go away here in the next 5 years as we will all be forced into the 4 stroke world. I need a pair of twins right now and I do not know which way to go. I like the Merc 225 EFI but should I jump 4 stroke????? :confused: Anyway.... Keep us updated. :D

grandpa

Cadet

The good side of the Optimax is that it is very efficient and very clean...and very powerful.When it is ruynning right it is still hard to beat.

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Grandpa,<br /><br />Have you heard anything about your motor yet? You mention that a Mercury rep was coming in to look at the motor, has he yet? What did he/she have to say? Keep us informed!<br /><br /> :confused:

grandpa

Cadet

Got the first report back on the motor Friday. The Mercury rep has not wieghed in yet but the dealer did a couple of computer print outs showing that #2 and #6 plugs were both badly fouled. The onboard computer did not register any codes to point to the cause. The local dealer forwards the info back to Mercury headquarters and the factory tech advises the shop on what course of action to take. The local service rep will probably be called in. They said they may be replacing the ECU which is the $2,000 computer that runs all the onboard functions and adjusts fuel/oil mix.. This was replaced in the =beginning by recall. It will be figured out this coming week and I will report back for more feedback.

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like they are at least trying. Keep us informed! :)

grandpa

Cadet

I am just wondering if the person posting here works for Mercury. Sounds like it. Be that as it may , Mercury has decided to replace the entire power head which is essentially the entire engine minus the drive/lower unit and housing. That is good news so far. Mercury personnel have been very professional so far despite the many frustrations I have endured with my Optimax.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Grandpa..... That is good news. At least I know first hand that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I know it is a hassle, but at least they owned up to it... I run several mercs, all the way up to the 300hp, and it pleases me to see them stand behind their product.. Well maybe we should wait until "your" happy. Hope it works out fine!!! :D :rolleyes: :cool: :) :p

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the only problem with replacing the power head, is that you still have all that opti-max crap connected to it.. Give me a good old fuel injected, or carbed motor any day..

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, not an employee of Mercury, just a concerned technician. I work for a dealership and hear all sorts of horror stories both on-line and from customer's friends. We haven't had any real trouble with Optis and I wonder sometimes if what is being said is actually going on. When you say an entire powerhead, do you mean the block (with internal components) or a complete (with electronics reeds, intake, ect.)? Nice to hear that Merc is standing behind the product. Good luck and happy boating!

grandpa

Cadet

As I understand it the "complete" powerhead assembly is everything except the drive shaft/lower unit. That includes all accessories ie the computer, alternator etc..all wire dup and ready...As the dealer described it : Unbolt the old one and bolt in the new one.....Sounds to me like 90% of a new engine.I am pretty patient when I think someone is truly trying top provide good customer service. Like I tell my customers:<br /><br />" I never promised we wouldn't have problems...It's how I handle them that counts."

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

" I never promised we wouldn't have problems...It's how I handle them that counts." <br /><br />I like that statement, can I put it on my toolbox?

kingsbiship

Cadet

This has nothing to do with anything !<br />I just wanted to know if "dilligaf" stands for<br />" do I look like I give a f___ ?

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes it stands for "do I look like I give a fig" :D

qmmaster

Cadet

I'm having on-going problems with my '01 Optimax's. I have twin 225's and so far (250 hrs worth) I have done the following:<br /><br />2 Lower units<br />6 injectors on 1 engine<br />replaced 1 wiring harness<br />replaced 1 thermostat<br />3 sets of spark plugs (as a result of fouling, not as part of regular maintenance)<br /><br />and the latest and greatest? The thermostat sensor fell into the cylinder I've been told so the powerhead has to be pulled apart and redone. <br /><br />Fortunately I have an extended warranty, but I've still had an $85 service call and a $25 deductible every time I've had a problem. Not to mention limping back on 1 engine all these times, sometimes from 40+ miles offshore! Needless to say, I've about had enough with these engines and will be repowering in the near future

grandpa

Cadet

Sounds like you have the same series of problems I have had....new air injectors..new computer...new fuel rails...new thermostats...new pop it valve... new wire harnesses...plugs keep fouling so new powerhead on the way. Definitely a bad year for the Optimax (2001)...Interesting though to know that atleast out here in Washington where we have a ton of national defense operations the Coast Guard uses the Optimax engines ...The fisheries patrol too...and there is a naval installation here where the patrol boats use Optimaxs...the navy has rows and rows of Optimax engines in crates so they can replace them on the patrol boats after a designated number of hours. These boats patrol the Bangor nuclear sub base and an island up here that is a storage depoe for munitions including cruise missles by the thousands.....All of these critically important patrol boats use Mercury Optimax engines....

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

So grandpa, how did you come out on yours?

tsutter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The navy and coast gaurd out there using the opti's? No wonder defense spending is so high. I bet the maintenance and repair line item is huge! :D