2001 Merc carbed 4.3 kills @ 4400 RPM

redblur

Seaman Apprentice
Engine has 170 hours, the problem started last night. Engine starts and runs fine up until around 4400 RPM, then it dies like someone hit the kill switch. I can put the boat back in neutral and it starts right back up. About the time it kills I see the voltmeter flicker, and it seems to be running low most of the time when above idle. It actually reads higher at idle (13 volts) than it does when running higher RPM.

Was out wake boarding with friends last night and had a friend with a pontoon nearby for a tow if needed. So after it started having problems and we figured out the pattern, we kept playing for another couple hours keeping the RPMs below 4400, and it never acted up again.

I've got dual batteries that I put in this spring with a 1/1+2/2 switch. It's been running good with that setup all summer. Neither battery seems drained, and it acts the same no matter where the battery selector switch is.

My list of suspects so far would be alternator, coil, or ignition module. I'm not real confident in it being the alternator, but it's simple enough to test so I'm taking it to have tested after I finish typing this. If that isn't it, any suggestions?