2001 Maxum 2400 sc for 13k v 1995 FourWinns 238 vista

Matthew#22

Recruit
2001 Maxum 2400 sc for 13k or a 1995 FourWinns 238 vista for 8k. both run well but the FourWinns needs upholstery work.

aspeck

Staff member
A little more detail is needed. Just remember that you are talking about 29 and 23 year old boats. You really need to check for internal rot in the boats … soft spots in the floor, flex in the transom anything that is going to show if the boats are solid or not.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Waaaay more info/details needed to help advise.Engine size and outdrive type is extremely useful.From what you gave us ,I would say the Maxim is what I would lean towards because it is a little bigger, newer,and does not need upholster work. Charlie

aspeck

Staff member
Matthew, we like to answer in the open forum, so post the details here if you want to get an answer. That way everyone who is interested can learn.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
2001 Maxum 2400 sc for 13k or a 1995 FourWinns 238 vista for 8k. both run well but the FourWinns needs upholstery work.
Have you priced upholstery work? I had my sunpad redone 2 years ago was almost a grand and took 3 months.

Have you checked any wood structure like transom and stringers for rot?

All other things being equal unless you can do the upholstery work I'd do the maxum as you will be close to same spot financially

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
price of upholstery for a 24' boat will be a few grand if you do it yourself. it will be a bit more to have a professional do it.

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this market is still crazy, but those both sound high, regardless of condition. As mentioned, those are both ripe to have transom and stringer issues, so check closely. In my area a new interior will run $6-8k.

aspeck

Staff member
@Matthew#22 PMed me Sunday night stating this:
I am looking at a 2001 Maxum 2400 sc for $14000 with the trailer or 12k (plus tax and license)without the trailer from a broker who cannot guarantee the hours(or anything) but all looks good and he will take us for a ride in Huntingtom Harbor anytime. Or a 1995 Fourwinns 238 Vista for $8,000 with a trailer and new throttle steering cable, 20 hours on new spark plugs, new starter and trailer in decent shape... upholstery needs work.. new full top and custom cover... Volvo Penta recently serviced. Which would you take if there are no soft spots or any hull issues? Please help me as I know more about sailboats and very little about power boats.

I told him that these things should be answered on the open forums, not PMs.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I see a reference to Huntington Harbor, if that's Huntington, Long Island, one of my boating areas, I can tell you that salt water issues need to be carefully looked at, namely exhaust manifolds & elbows, and if those are the original engines, they could be way past their prime, if they were used in that local since new. If you're stuck on either one evaluate very carefully for overheating, and water in the oil. By that time, it is not uncommon for the original head gaskets to start leaking, even if not overheated. One of the drawbacks to raw water cooling in salt which I've discussed many times. The cyl heads can rust through behind the valve seats after that many seasons. Also need to evaluate corrosion on the transom mount and outdrive. Then there's the old structure, if they are wood cored boats, be very careful.
For me I'd not buy either one.
From now on, my choice would be a simple 20' center console or DC, with 4 stroke outboard power, yes I'll pay the premium it takes to get the right boat for my boating environment. I'm not doing any more restos in this lifetime and don't want to have I/O maintenance headaches any longer.