2001 Mariah Diablo 180 ?

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,
The Nearly free 1973 century Saga is coming to an end...
I am done throwing money at it. I do however appreciate everyone's feedback on my repairs I got the engine running great but now the whole thing needs rewired to get gauge and trim working properly... I will likely keep it and do it as time allows. I feel vested in it at this point.
But for now I am looking at some new to me boats so I can enjoy this coming boating season. The one currently on my radar is a 2001 Mariah 180 Diablo Powered by Mercruiser 4.3 V6. Low hours and appears to be in good shape.
Thinking of taking the plunge on this one for 5k at the end of this month. I don't see a lot on here about Mariah's specifically the Diablo Model. The boat is at a Marina and wrapped and winterized for the season So I cant sea trial it. I asked the Marina about holding it till spring with a 50% deposit the guy basically said he hold it for 100% and I can sea trial it in spring. The bill of sale will note that if there are any issues noted during the sea trial that they will be fixed or a check will be cut and deposit refunded.

I looked into the legitimacy of the marina and they have a good report on Google, facebook and BBB reviews So I think I am comfortable with this however I was wondering if anyone else would consider doing this? I think If I wait around the boat could be scooped up...
He said he has all documentation for repairs and general maintenance as it was a local boat that the marina maintained and could share all that with me when I come to put deposit on it.

Also for the final question does anyone else see any issues with the price point of this boat being 5k its a little lower then my initial budget but the boat itself checks all the boxes we were looking for.
I know it is a 20 year old boat the Marina has insured me they're are 0 issues with it. They wouldn't sell anything with issues. Anything I should look for specifically?
Is the Hull of this Mariah specifically reliable? Any wood?8093440_20211104074337045_1_XLARGE.jpg8093440_20211104074335051_1_XLARGE.jpg

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Looks fairly well cared for and price seems reasonable, actually cheap if you believe NADA. Issues I would be concerned with is transom and stringer rot, condition of bellows, impeller, and fuel system. I'm assuming someone redid the upholstery or it sat under cover unused. Mechanically would do a compression test, ask them to pressure test the outdrive assuming its off, and of course the sea trial. If they are willing to fix any deficiencies might be worth having a surveyor inspect it unless your skill and knowledge base is up there, plus if the surveyor notes the deficiencies there really cant be an argument as to if something is an issue or not.

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
NADA seems a bit high on this boat in my opinion I wouldn't purchase what NADA was saying it was worth. But ya I have a pretty good eye for things But I agree I want to know more about transom and stringers from my research very little wood was used in the Mariahs 01 and earlier.. The transom was actually all synthetic from my research but being 20 Years old I will be looking very closely at that. I just re did transom and stringers in my century and it was a painful experience to say the least.