2001 Evinrude 150 lower unit failure

slooke

Cadet
I just bought a brand Hydra Sport with an Evinrude 150 Ficht Ram injection. The boat is barely a month old. I have put quite a few hours on it though. Maybe in the 40-50 hour range. I heard knocking noises from the lower unit yesterday (our first day of vacation) and inspected the lower unit when I got home. I found metal shavings on the fill plug magnet! Lots of shavings. The dealer requested that I bring it in right away. This is a bummer for our vaction. The dealer told me he ordered two lower units for two other customers Friday too. Is this a Known problem for Evinrude? Heads up to all you new Evinrude owners out there. If you hear something like a knocking sound while running faster than 2K RPMs it could be the gears in the lower unit.<br />If anyone has any insight on this please respond. The good thing for me, it'll be covered under my 2yr warranty and I'll be getting a new replacement unit instead of a repair.

emwachtel

Cadet
Re: 2001 Evinrude 150 lower unit failure

Did you change the oil in the lower unit when you hit 20 hours? I have a hydra sport with a 200 fict. The engine has been running great!! Good luck!

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

To my knowledge this is the same gearcse OMC has been using for many,many years .A pretty hardy unit.I might question the rigging dept. at the shop you are doing business with.A word of defense for these riggers. They are generally the least paid but do one of the most important jobs.Unfortunatly access to the throttle and shift cable adjustments on this engine are awkward at best .leading to that will have to do cause this bites rigging.

slooke

Cadet

FYI<br />I got my boat back already. Put it in Saturday and got it back with a brand new Lower Unit on Tuesday Morning. I think thats awesome service. My vacation has been saved! Apparently the problems they have been seeing with these lower units are one of the gears wear out due to poor material. The Lower Unit they gave me under warranty looks slightly different. I am acually glad of that, don't want it to happen again, anyway the machanic said the replacement is a racing lower unit. ?? racing lower Unit?? Was that a smoke screen, or do they really have high performace lower Units for the Evinrude 150?