2001 DF70 Suzuki has 12 volts on the rectifier regulator ground wire

bcribb52

Seaman
My motor is charging 16 volts and getting an alarm. I read that if you disconnect the ground wire from the reg and put your meter on the black ground wire and your other meter probe to the negative on the battery you should get 0 voltage. I'm getting 12 volts. I disconnected the main harness and still getting 12 volts on the black ground. I disconnected the main wire plug from the regulator and left the single wire plugged in and still getting 12 volts.. Any help would be appreciated. The new regulator does the same thing. 12 volts on the black negative wire..

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Is this a two wire R/R or a three wire R/R? Input from the stator assembly that is.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I just tested my two wire R/R. Volt meter between the disconnected black wire and the battery ground. VM indicated battery voltage.

bcribb52

Seaman
That makes sense. I wish I could get this one to read 1 volt or less but 12 volts apparently has something wrong or shorted somewhere. I also installed new battery cables from the battery to the motor. No other wires are connected to the battery.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I am also seeing 12+ volts from the R/R on the black lead to the battery on my three phase R/R.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
No. The output is just fine. On both of them. Three of them actually. I just tested another two wire input R/R.

I never gave any thought about voltage being on the black ground wire until you brought it up. Current is just a few milliamps. My guess it is voltage through the regulator control circuitry.

bcribb52

Seaman
No. The output is just fine. On both of them. Three of them actually. I just tested another two wire input R/R.

I never gave any thought about voltage being on the black ground wire until you brought it up. Current is just a few milliamps. My guess it is voltage through the regulator control circuitry.
Thanks for your input. I'm going to put another rr on it and see what happens. If the voltage stays between 13 and 14/15 i'm going to run it.. Thanks again and i'll let you know how it goes..