2000 Yamaha 115 trim works but no tilt

schiprec

Cadet
Hi all , I've done my searches and am not finding results. I just bought this motor and the Trim functions properly but motor will not tilt. When trim Rams are fully extended motor sounds like it's at its limit. I have followed the bleeding process several times and believe all air to be out of system and is not leaking.

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Once the 2 trim pistons are fully extended, the tilt piston (located between the 2 trim pistons) extends to raise engine. When the tilt piston has reached its max height, the PTT motor will squeal. This squeal sound is noticeably different than trim/tilt up and down.

So when you say that "when trim rams are fully extended motor sound like it's at its limit", are you saying you're hearing this squealing sound? You also didn't mention if the tilt piston is extending after the trim pistons reach their max.

schiprec

Cadet
The trim motor does sound noticeably different. The tilt ram will not raise the engine off the trim rams. Could there be some blockage in the system ? I also tried to manually tilt the engine while hitting the up button and that was no help,tilt ram didn't move.

Last edited:

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Sure you filled system up with ATF?

I had a 115 in and it needed A LOT of fluid before it worked properly.

ClassicAQ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The trim motor does sound noticeably different. The tilt ram will not raise the engine off the trim rams. Could there be some blockage in the system ? I also tried to manually tilt the engine while hitting the up button and that was no help,tilt ram didn't move.

I'd first consult your service manual. You're in luck if you don't have one. Here are manuals for:

2000 2 stroke 115hp
https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/s...a-shop-manuals/466-2000-yamaha-115x-130x/file

2000 4 stroke 115hp
https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/s...hop-manuals/477-2000-yamaha-f115y-lf115y/file

You might need to bleed the system to make sure no air is causing the issue. Follow the manual for instructions.