2000 model Johnson 25 HP What to look for?

SilverZuk

Cadet
I can get two 25 hp Johnson outboards cheap.
Both are basket cases. One has the lower unit taken off, and all the parts in a box. The other has the mag and electrical components removed, but an intact lower unit.

What notoriously goes bad on these motors?

I am thinking of buying both and trying to assemble one functioning motor.
If it doesn't work, what are the sought after used parts?

I can get them both fairly cheap, but still trying to talk myself into taking the gamble

What would two questionable motors be worth?

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 model Johnson 25 HP What to look for?

IF there cheap enough swapping out the lower unit to the presumably working powerhead should be a snap, like 30 minutes of work. Then you have a working 25hp and some parts to sell.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

If both of the motors are no good, and you get them cheap enough, you could sell the starters, props, stators, etc (assuming they are good) for quite a bit....

jbjennings

Captain

Are these two motors coming from the same owner? If so, he would be a complete nincompoop for not doing just what you were told----matching the lower from one to the powerhead of the other.
Since most folks aren't total nincompoops, I smell a rat here and would definitely not offer much at all. Assume you are getting 2 parts motors, neither of which could be put together and make a running motor as far as price. If it turns out you can get one good one, great.....
There's no bad stuff on a 2-stroke OMC 25hp motor that I know of.
Later,
JBJ

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Are these two motors coming from the same owner? If so, he would be a complete nincompoop for not doing just what you were told----matching the lower from one to the powerhead of the other.
Since most folks aren't total nincompoops, I smell a rat here and would definitely not offer much at all. Assume you are getting 2 parts motors, neither of which could be put together and make a running motor as far as price. If it turns out you can get one good one, great.....
There's no bad stuff on a 2-stroke OMC 25hp motor that I know of.
Later,
JBJ

He has a very good point....I would (as previously mentioned) not offer much at all.....good luck, and let us know how the deal works out!:cool:

SilverZuk

Cadet

Not the same owner. I found one, got to asking and found another.
That is what got me wondering if there were known systematic problems with them to find two in various states of disrepair.

Both are basket cases, but I'm considering buying both to see if I can get one running and e-bay parts from the other.

It is one of those things that I'll kick myself to not to take the gamble, because at the price I can part both out and at least break even.

I really don't need a 25 hp, but I like to work on mechanical things. Outboards are fairly new to me. I didn't want to jump on them and get responses like "Yeah, everyone knows that those models are junk and you can't give them away".

jbjennings

Captain

they're super good motors. I am suprised they're in pieces!
JBJ