2000 Mercury 225 EFI Problems Cutting Out

Mtgeorge

Recruit
Recently my 225 EFI has been cutting out at low RPM's. I used to could put it in neutral and rev it up to 3,000 rpm's to get it to run good enough to get it on plane. Now I just have to keep idling around and flooring it hoping that it will not cut out long enough to plane out. Once on plane it runs great. This cutting out doesn't happen all the time either. It seems like its worse when the temperatures are colder than 70 degrees outside. I've replaced fuel filters & hoses, drained fuel tank, replaced diaghram in LP fuel pump, and I ran a bottle of sea foam through it in the early spring. While trying to trailer it tonight I left the trottle possitioned at 3,000 rpm's and it would maintain that for a few seconds then drop to 800 then back up again. Its very spontaneous when this happens. Now I'm leaning toward fuel regulator or injectors. Any suggestions?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Mercury 225 EFI Problems Cutting Out

Check the TPS settings first , then check fuel pressure on fuel rail while on trailer. If fuel pressure is dropping rapidly it could be regulator but doubt it, likely a pump or internal filter or dirty injectors.

Mtgeorge

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Faztbullet, The TPS was checked about 6 months ago. I'm gonna try the internal filter next, is this a complicated process? What is a good product to run to clean the injectors? Do you know how much the injectors might be? Sorry for all the questions, we just don't have any good mechanics in my area so I have to improvise!

Mtgeorge

Recruit

Unplugged shift interrupter switch and now runs great. Have the part on order plan to replace it next week. Thanks for the input.

MASHHADI

Cadet

hi all

i am planing to get the same engine mercury 2000 225 efi, is it a good engine???

it doesnt say optimax or verado? does this model have a name or is it just called mercury 225 efi?? the shop said they will service the engine and install it on my boat (wellcraft nova 250) i have no experiance in engines so please any help and information will be apreciated,

thanx