2000 Larson 33 Cabrio - REVIEWS/OPINIONS requested

red.donzi

Cadet
I am currently looking at the above mentioned boat, equiped with Volvo 7.4 MPI (2) It has about 130 hours on motors/drives. Other than lack of marine electronics boat has all options (genset, air, windlass). If I plan on pursuing this vessel, I will have survey and mechanical review so MY QUESTION is if anyone has any hands on experience with this particular boat. Looking for feedback on how the boat handles in slight chop and overall reliability of systems and ease of repair or availability of parts when needed. Boat has been in freshwater all its life, and will continue to remain, with trips out to brackish on occasion; Upper Potomac River (DC/MD/VA).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

ckalupa

Seaman
Re: 2000 Larson 33 Cabrio - REVIEWS/OPINIONS requested

I have a 1998 Cabrio 310. So not quite the same as what you are looking at. I do like how it handles the rougher water here on Lake Michigan. Slight chop (1-3 foot) is almost non-issue.

red.donzi

Cadet

I have a 1998 Cabrio 310. So not quite the same as what you are looking at. I do like how it handles the rougher water here on Lake Michigan. Slight chop (1-3 foot) is almost non-issue.

Thanks for your response. I do believe these boats (and systems) are very similiar. What motors/drives do you have? Do you have any stats on fuel consumption (of course I understand this is all relative to conditions and load). With the age of the boat - how has fit/finish held up? Any major repairs you have had to take on?

ckalupa

Seaman

I have two of the dual prop 5.7GSI Volvo Penta's - so smaller than what is on the boat you are looking at. The boat gloss and finish has held up well but this one was stored in dry stack service all its life (as I am doing the same) so that makes it easier on the overall finish than an "in-water" program. I also did quite a bit of mechanical stuff but that was more related to the fact that I bought it out of a financial distress situation where the previous owner did not keep up with mechanicals as needed probably for years.

I had to work on the power steering pump (replace the active one), power steering arm failed, one throttle cable, belts were old and replaced. The water pumps (circulators like on the car) had minor drips that I think are common on these Penta drives based on what I have read on the forums - so I just replaced them both (no performance issue, just personal preference to not have drips). I did a complete package of fluid changes - oil change and lower unit lubes as I was not sure when they were done last - they needed it. I also replaced the sea water circulators - again - preference - not because they had failed but I did not want that. Replaced the batteries (all three) as they were not holding charge. Bellows inspected and look good so I left them alone.

On the boat itself was one refrigerator (has two) was not working SO I replaced it. I also opted to replace the included TV/VCR with a small LCD flat panel and upgraded all the cabin and outer salon lights with LED's from the bulb style that was on there. The head was butchered by the last owner so I just replaced it and that is working good ($400). Also replaced the fresh water supply pump and filter screen to an easier to change one than Larson installed on the boat. Not expensive but I wanted it my way. The fuel gage needle fell of so that was $18 and 20 minutes with a screwdriver and it was fixed.

Lastly, and only personal preference, I update the Nav system to all Lowrance including updating the radar to the new 3G system. Again, this was my choice though.

In all these cases, if your boat is owned by someone that still loved it, then my experience won't apply to you. In most of my cases the things I worked on were not all needed, but I chose to do it because I wanted them the way they should be. I did get the boat at a value based on what I saw that I wanted to do to get it to my standards the extra ~$8 K I spent on all this was not unexpected for me. I planned that in the budget when I bought it.

I don't have hard facts on the fuel efficiency but I have to say that it is better than I expected it to be. I will say that the boat really scoots! I have had it up to something near 60MPH (GPS) on plane WOT in flat water - very impressed with that. My Bass boat with a 200hp will get 70 and that is a lot lighter and more "made for speed" design.