2000 Johnson 50 HP - Trouble Shifting into FWD

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hello-

My 2000 50 HP Johnson is having trouble shifting into forward. When the engine is running, and I shift into forward at idle speed, I hear a clicking sound comming from the lower unit. If I give it a little more throttle, It engages in gear and seems to run OK. This only occurs in forward, and it shifts OK into reverse.

Once the boat was on the trailer, and with the engine not running, I put the motor in gear (forward), and tried to hand spin the prop. The prop does spin by hand while in gear, and it feels like the gear is slipping, and not fully engaged.

I drained the gear oil, and did not see any metal shavings in the oil.

Any info you can provide will be much appreciated. I'm not looking to do the repair myself, but I'd like to have as much information as I can before I take it in. Mostly want to know if you think the lower unit should be repairable.

Thanks again for your time.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2000 Johnson 50 HP - Trouble Shifting into FWD

Turns out it was a simple shift cable adjustment. :)

jonesg

Admiral

You can now spend that $1200 you saved.:D

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

Ha! If only the wife thought that way!

Dude charged me $135 for 10 minutes worth of work, but I guess I'd rather have it that way then the alternative. Also, now I know what the symptoms are associated with this issue, and I can fix it myself if it happens again. Always seem to learn the hard way. I need to take some classes in outboard repair!