2000 Caravelle 188?

entidine

Cadet
A marina local to me has a 2000 Caravelle 188 bowrider that's in okay shape with trailer for $6,900. They are in the process of cleaning it up. The upholstery looks good but needs to be scrubbed. The cupholders in the bow have fallen out. The gelcoat was cloudy but they were orbital polishing it and it was shinging up nicely. The said they will sell me the boat looking good and in good menchanical shape. They are replacing the lower drive boots now. I'm going to take it out for a test before buying.

I know that Caravelle went bankrupt in 2009. Is that a reason to stay away from this brand? Any other comments about this boat, good or bad?

NADA shows an average retail price of $6,600 without a trailer. This boat has an EZLoader single-axle trailer, pretty basic.

entidine

Cadet
Re: 2000 Caravelle 188?

Having a professional survey done isn't really an option as there are no surveyers in the area. Convincing one to travel to boat's location would be probitively expensive.

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure what engine you have in that boat...but that doesn't sound like too sweet of a deal to me.....Sounds like it wasn't taken care of very well if the gelcoat is faded and the interior is dirty.......I would be cautious - and I wouldn't pay $6900

entidine

Cadet

Not sure what engine you have in that boat...but that doesn't sound like too sweet of a deal to me.....Sounds like it wasn't taken care of very well if the gelcoat is faded and the interior is dirty.......I would be cautious - and I wouldn't pay $6900

The engine is the V6 Merc. What do you think would be a good price to pay?

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

The engine is the V6 Merc. What do you think would be a good price to pay?

Zero if it wasn't well cared for. Check the floors/transom thoroughly. If its that dirty it was probably exposed to weather for long periods of time, and might have floor/transom rot.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure the marina then provides you with a checklist of items inspected or does an inspection of the engine, drive, floor and trasnsom as part of the deal. You dont want a cracked engine block, leaking transom or rotted stringers.
Lets do some simple math on the value if its in good mechanical condition with a well maintained hull, floor and transom. New 18' I/O cost about 18k back in 2000. Boats generally have a life expectancy of 15 years (a lot will argue here about that time frame, but banks/credit union will finance 15 years as the max) So if I depreciate it over 15 years, straight line, it depreciates $1200 per year times 11 years, value should be $4,800. Like I said before well maintained and in good mechanical condition should give you some room to negotiate down from $6,900.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

A marina local to me has a 2000 Caravelle 188 bowrider that's in okay shape with trailer for $6,900. They are in the process of cleaning it up. The upholstery looks good but needs to be scrubbed. The cupholders in the bow have fallen out. The gelcoat was cloudy but they were orbital polishing it and it was shinging up nicely. The said they will sell me the boat looking good and in good menchanical shape. They are replacing the lower drive boots now. I'm going to take it out for a test before buying.

I know that Caravelle went bankrupt in 2009. Is that a reason to stay away from this brand? Any other comments about this boat, good or bad?

NADA shows an average retail price of $6,600 without a trailer. This boat has an EZLoader single-axle trailer, pretty basic.

Typically NADA prices INCLUDE the trailer. If you read the fine print, it says "assumes trailer value included" or something to that effect. Not that that should sway you either way, as the price includes the trailer, I just dont want you to think its worth $6600 + another $1200(ish) for the trailer, and that you are getting a $7800 pkg for $6900...cuz you most likely are not. That seems a bit high (in my area anyway) for an 11 year old 18'er with a v-6. The price seems to drop off sharply below 20'.

entidine

Cadet

Went by to see the boat today. Looking very sharp. They're still doing some engine work, including the I/O boots. I priced it out again on NADA now knowing the extras it has, like CD stereo, depth finder, bimini top, and it came to $7,264. No rips on any of the seats, floor and transom seem good. This boat actually looks great now that it's been cleaned.

Attachments

• caravelle.jpg
    caravelle.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0