2000 50 hp mercury tilt / trim problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracker2000

Recruit
i have a 2000 tracker pro team 185 with a 50 hp mercury. i recently went out and noticed when i was in shallow water (5 ft deep) and wanted to trim my motor up as to not hit in rocks or stumps, it would go up a lil ways and fall right back down, during this time i was just running barely over idle speeds. When im running full throttle across the lake it seems to be trimming out fine tho. My 1st idea was to check the fluid for foreign materials and proper level. It appears to be automatic transmission fluid ( red in color and smells like ATF) and with motor raised to max it trickles out when i take the fill "knob" off. Im pretty sure that everything is original on the boat. I also checked the flathead screw for tightness on the lower right side of the trim motor ( as per suggested by local mercury dealer ). Dealer also told me to raise motor to top and apply pressure to motor to see if it holds or bleeds off, which it does bleed off. It does raise to top and lower itself with no abnormal noises. Sounds like to me the hydraulic ram has went bad and not holding the pressure anymore ( bad oring? ) Is there something else i can check? Is there a simple fix that i dont know about? I'm sure the electrical part of it is fine but can i rebuild the hydraulic side of it if thats the problem? any and all information on this matter would be greatly appreciated. thank you very much

RRitt

Captain
Re: 2000 50 hp mercury tilt / trim problem

i doubt the ram has gone bad. that is extremely rare. you rebuild rams because the top shaft wiper becomes hardened or cracked.

It is probably your trim limit spool. the spool springs in those systems frequently go bad on 50HP engines. they compress with use and eventually you have a trim system that can't hold itself up. However, your description indicates that your system does not drift down at full throttle. If this is true then it is not the trim limit spool. A bad trim spring will drift down faster with more throttle or weight.

tracker2000

Recruit

No, it does not drift down at high speeds. It does however fall at low speeds and drops pretty fast at that. Is there something else that i can check to help diagnose???

RRitt

Captain

if it falls further down parked than at speed then you have an unusual problem that cookbook solutions will not address.

tracker2000

Recruit

at top speed travelling across the lake its trims out and planes the boat off just fine and doesnt seem to drop. While boat out of water it raises and lowers fine with no abnormal noises and only drops when i apply hand pressure to the prop/ stinger area on the motor. ( im not putting my body weight into it or anything like that tho )

RRitt

Captain

i have fixed hundreds of these and do not have any idea what is wrong with yours. your description does not match any known problem. I suspect that if you look more closely you will find that your description is not accurate. if you description is accurate then you need to have it professionally rebuilt and bench tested.

Sunnyotaki

Recruit
Did you ever find a solution to this problem as I have exactly the same issue happening, or anyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.