2000 1950 capri has 3 large main red battery cables and dont know why

i recently purchased this boat as a project from someone else and some things were un hooked. it has 2 batteries, and i have them hooked to the engine and the house power like normal, but there was a second large red battery cable that i cant figure out where it goes. i have 1 hooked to the starter, 1 smaller one running to the trim motor, and 1 large red one connecting the 2 batteries. What is the 3rd large red one for???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Was there a trolling motor or something else in use before? When in doubt, try tracing the large red backwards and see where it goes!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Does the boat have a battery switch with a 1, 2, or both position? Having a red connection between the batteries seems to say that you do have a switch.

Like Thom said - Trace it back to the other end if you can.

i have crawled all over the boat and have not found a marine switch of any kind. i would trace it backwards but it was hooked to the battery but not the boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Since one large cable connects the positive terminals on both batteries, the prior owner probably used another (same size) red (should have been black) cable to connect the two NEGATIVE terminals.

i have been going over and testing connections. i have 2 good batteries in it and all that works is the trim. no gauges no ignition no power to the switches and gauges

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Do you have a ground cable from the battery negative to the motor's block,..??

both batteries have a ground to the engine block. 1 battery has a main cable going to the starter, the other battery has a main cable connecting it to the first battery, and a smaller wire running to the trim motor. there was a 3rd large red cable connected to the main battery cable that was just laying in the boat. is that why i have no power, if so can someone please tell me where it goes.

update: found my power problem, the 90 amp fuse at the starter solenoid was junk. Thank you to all who offered there ideas, it was very much greatly appreciated!!!!