$200 Truck, Bad starter, self lowering fuel tank, Really a funny story

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
So about a month ago I picked up my next project. A $200 1975 Chevy 3/4 ton truck from my wifes boss. A day before that the guy across the street comes home with some ol' beater... Everynight at about 1:30am I'd hear the beater start up. I Thought man he leaves at weird hours of the night... anyways went out to start it one day to find that I had less gas in it then I should have. This went on for about 3 weeks... put gas in it and on it's own the tank would lower..(maybe have drove it 15 miles in the month) not much but enough to move the gauge. I then had a dead battery.. ok. it's 8 years old I'll replace it. Then the starter started to go bad... put off this repair. Then last night I hear what I thought was the beast start up. Ran for about 15 minutes and then shut off. After it shut off I kept hearin this car try and turn over.Since the beast and my truck sound alike trying to start thought it was across the street. After I looked out the window and found there was no one out there I went outside to find MY TRUCK with no key, ignition turned off trying to start. I now have to believe that this truck would start up every night at 1:30am and run for 10-15 minutes and then shut off like nothing happened. Last night must have been the straw that broke the starters back cause after I reconnected the cable this morning I found the starter to be dead... So much for waiting to get the starter... <br /><br />I'll have to take another look at that ignition switch. Whats even more funny, I tried to put the key in and turn the ign. and nothing. Ended up the only way to get it to stop was disconnect the battery cable.<br /><br />Must be like wakin up a sleep walker.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: $200 Truck, Bad starter, self lowering fuel tank, Really a funny story

either a bad ignition switch or solenoid on your starter. When it gets cooler at night the bad part expands and electrical contact is made. Or somebody is messing wit ya.

ZmOz

Captain

That's hilarious! I was just thinking what a great joke that would be - attach a box that does that to an old car, and then sell it to somebody. :p <br /><br />The '79 3/4 ton Chevy project truck I bought a few months ago has a problem with the neutral safety switch - it won't turn over WITH the key. :)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I believe since no effect on key movement it's the starter...and it needs replacin anyways now so I'll start there...<br />It's actually quite humurous.... For the life of me I could not figure out why this guy would leave at that time at night... and why I kept loosin gas..<br />but now that I think of it.. bad battery, starter goin, loss of fuel... I wonder if it would have just gone on it's merry way and the starter didn't try to kick back in how long it would take me to notice it. Prolly the day I would wake up and find it still running....lol

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

now the previous owner didnt put a remote start in there thats activated by cold did he? I've installed remote start units in vehicles that start when the temp drops below a certain degree to warm it up for a dog or whatever.<br /><br />Would be unusual and especially since its carburated i presume but still a possiblity. Nonetheless that is a great story.. bet your neighbors thought you were nuts leaving at that time of night

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure they did... or more like why in hell is he out there startin that truck at that time of the night....<br /><br />No remote start... <br /><br />Damn thing.. you know how many probs this thing has given me with a starter goin bad...I was lucky to get the starter to kick in enough to get it started and it started right up... now it's makin me mad... oh yeah.. it was $200 :D

ebbtide176

Commander

if you are saying your truck is cranking itself up about the same time each night, then that is too weird to comprehend.<br />not saying its impossible, but its very very unusual. i'd be for looking at the wiring on the coil, ign module & starter, for extra wires. if it does crank up, it probably has an aftermarket remote start(burglar alarm system), and some RF frequency is triggering it.<br />i don't think its related to temp. just my 2c :D <br /><br />it doesn't make sense that it would have a remote start if its a $200 vehicle, but ya never know.<br /><br />does it have a built-in clock?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Can you say....... Ghost Truck ?<br /> :eek: :eek: :eek:

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Can you say CHRISTINE???

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Better git it fixed, GW doesn't want us commoners wasting gas.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah um... no clock it weird.. very weird

treedancer

Commander

homesick? :confused:

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next time you shut it off, jiggle the steering wheel as you turn off the key and make sure to turn the key as far back as it can go...usually about 1/8" behind the arrow mark on the column.<br /><br />Sometimes the steering wheel interlock doesn't fully engage and the ignition switch isn't fully turned off.<br /><br />If the key is severly worn, then it slides out easily when it is close to the shut down point.<br /><br />My '80 wouldn't start on its own, (clutch interlock switch) but it sure wore down the battery. Mechanic tried to replace everything electrical, still no solution.<br /><br />One day I was a bit foolish and broke the old worn key off in the ignition switch. New switch, problem gone.