200 HP Temp gauge addition

alwood0422

Recruit
I have a 87, 200 HP OMC, same as Envinrude/Johnson. It is attached to a 21ft Grady White. I have a lot of problem with seaweed build up getting pulled into the water intake and clogging it. The alarm sounds and I clean it out again. I want to add a temp gauge to the engine and wire it to my panel. I can buy the gauge, but I really need a kit to give me the sensor and gauge. Any ideas on where to get it. Also the big question, where do I mount it on the engine? Do I need 2, one for each side of the V6?

Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 HP Temp gauge addition

Temperature gauge kits from either Teleflex or BRP come with the necessary components to set up your unit. You can buy the Teleflex units here at iboats or direct from any BRP J/E dealer in your area. The senders screw into the pretapped holes on your cylinder heads, so its your choice to have one guage for each bank of cylinders, or to use a switch so that you can check one bank or the other.

If the screen on the water intakes are not in very good condition, the seaweed will keep getting in. The screens also keep particulate like sand out of your water pump and cooling system. Its worth the time to examine them closely.

I've found the teleflex support team to be excellent. If you need the number of the correct kit to match your other gauges and get the right sender, contact them: http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/framesett.cgi?site=home&type=us&link2=1043

alwood0422

Recruit
Re: 200 HP Temp gauge addition

Excellent thankyou. I just replaced the impeller and screens a few months ago, its just the weed build up in the late summer that is a pain. I asked the marina for a slip farther out for next year to get me in deeper water.

Al