200 hp compresion diferent from other head

Max7

Seaman
Hi! I bought 1989 Evinrude vro 200 hp,the seller toll me it had around 80 lb on each cylinder I believe him,I din't do test,because we din't have a compresion tester so after a week that I bought the motor I got a compresion tester and the compresion came lower the right side head where the shift/throttle lever is at the top one cynd is 75lb the midle 74lb and the lower 76 lb Im satisfied with this head, but the other head where the gas pump is at this one the top cyln reads 73lb the midle 70lb and the lower cyl 66 lb<br /> when I bought motor it was mising the power pack and one spark plug, the spark plugs where loose and one look real clean from the right side where the good compresion is at,but I think they swich the spark plugs so I really don't know from witch cyld the spark plug is coming from,seller toll me tha it have been a year that the motor din't turn on,know my repair manual said to use a omc oil when compresion is low and if this don't work to take of the head and look at the piston and walls, so far I look at the pistons through the spark plugs hole and the pistons look all the same no holes nothing broke all same,know my next step is tried to turn it on and then check compresion again and if compresion is stil the same then remove the heads to check the inside better and the seals,any body have a sugestion tha could help I will apreciated or somebody that could tell me if the compresion is normal thanks for any advise that I could get here

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 hp compresion diferent from other head

What are the numbers stamped on the heads?

Max7

Seaman

hi Dhadley,I come to see the motor and just found out that the head with the good compresion which is the right side looks that the head gasket has been change and the one with the low compresion which is the left looks like they never touch the head gasket,because the gasket even have original paint, the righ head with the good compresion the number stamp are 333809-4 and the top piston have a biger number 1 which I guess is #1 piston,and the left head with the low compresion # are 333809 and Have a big letter F ,let me know if this help please<br /> Max

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've been out. Lets stick with one thread on this so its easy to follow. Perhaps the Mods could close the others.<br /><br />I would suggest you get it running at least on the hose and see what its like after a good de-carb job. <br /><br />I would strongly suggest cleaning and rebuilding the carbs since its been sitting so long. Fresh fuel (87 octane) and a new water pump also.

Max7

Seaman

got you I will order the parts today then and I post you thank for the help

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Anytime.<br /><br />Good luck and keep us posted!