200 Evinrude wont start

glen357

Cadet
Hey, <br />What a great site. I need some of this kind of help with my sons motor. I am a retired mechanic (busness machines). I have the time so what I cannot fix I get to bring to the repair shop. We are having trouble getting it started after it has sit up a while. Once its started runs great. start first time just bump the starter and off we go. But when it sets up for a week or so. No, it just spins and spins. Finaly it seems to start firing but seem flooded from not starting when it should have. It sputters and stops the starter over and over, let it set a while finaly it will start. Then it smokes like hell(like it has been flooded). Boat mechanic said it maybe choke not opening when you push the choke in. We checked that not it. Out mechanic seems to be good but this one has stumped him and he hates to see me comming. Already we have changed fuel pump, stator, power pac, carb jets. And had to rebuild starter because it is so hard to start. We bring it to the shop and it runs great. Can any of you guys shead any light on this problem. My son has given up. He cannot trust it. And is looking at new motors. He has put so much money in this one already. I hate to Give up. Its probably something simple that we have overlooked.Its a 200hp evinrude Venom 1993. Thanks, G

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 200 Evinrude wont start

Hey G357, welcome to iboats. First off there is no choke on that engine, it is a fuel primer, which is controlled by a solenoid when you push the key in. You can verify if it is working by first pushing the key in while someone in listening by the solenoid and see if you hear a click. The solenoid also has a manual start switch on it, in case the solenoid malfunctions, you can switch it to START and it will prime the engine, and once it starts and runs for a second or 2 switch it to RUN. If it starts like that, then you probably need a solenoid.<br /><br />What is your cold start procedure right now? Also check out the FAQ section here and look for "outboard won't start", it will give you step by step procedure of things to check.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the spark gap cold engine, should jump 7/16 gap at cranking rpms all 6 cylinders. If you have spark on only 3/4 cylinders, the timer or pack is bad. You should also check the primer (no choke) system, if this working drill the primer nipple to .062. Check Quick Start. Use Dhadleys starting method. When this thing sets for 2 weeks the cylinders/crankcase are dry amd must be primed with fuel.

glen357

Cadet

OK,<br />I made me a spark tester. None of the cylinders will fire the 7/16 gap. They will fire a spark plug gap tho. What could cause weak fire on all cylinders, Has a new power pac & stator. Thanks. G

clanton

Rear Admiral

Try a 3/8 gap. Low battery,battery to small, wimpy starter, dirty battery cables. Check the pack output to the coil, should be 100 volts or more with a peakread reading meter. You can use an AC meter results x 1.414.

glen357

Cadet

Clanton,<br />I got 10v ac (x1 1/2 = 15). I changed the spark gap on my tester to 3/8 still no spark.

glen357

Cadet

OK,<br />Does anybody else have any idea about anything that could cause week spark other than power pac and stator. Trigger is working. Could I have bad new parts. I called my machanic with the above report. He said he though the parts had a year warranty. But he is really snowed under with work now. I guess I will have to get in line. Thanks

faithful1

Recruit

I used to have the same problem. Engine hard to crank after setting up a while; looks like I'm burning pine knots after it finally cranks because it is smoking so bad. After initial start, it will fire right up all day long. My mech said these year models are the worst "cold starting" engines he's ever seen. The remedy was to turn the key to the "on" position; push key in and hold it for 8-10 seconds, turn to off position. Now try to start by turning key all the way to crank; pushing key in for "choking" only if engine tries to stall. <br />Oh yeah I forgot, make sure to prime the bulb first. It seems these engines will run the gas out of the bulb and stall and thats when everyone floods the engine out by repeatedly choking it instead of priming the bulb again (may have to prime the bulb several times during cranking process). I've also found that if you can start and run the engine the evening before going fishing (letting it get hot), it starts alot easier the next morning. It helps if you leave the engine tilted down until the next morning when you are ready to leave. It keeps the carbs and cylinders from going dry. Hope this helps. SwampShark

glen357

Cadet

I just got back from the repair shop. Weak stater. Just because its new don't mean its good. Thank guy for the help. G

gbengr123

Recruit

I have 2 of these engines. One started hard and smoked like crazy because the primer got stuck (opposite of every other experience I've heard). Also, I have a problem with the spark plug cables corroding which leads to a weak spark problem (but easily corrected with emery paper or new cables), so I would check that first.<br />Geoff

louUU

Recruit

I have 2 1995 Evinrude 200 HP outboards.<br /><br /> One engine takes a lot of cranking to start if it hasn't been run for a few days.Once warm the engine operates fine all day.<br /><br /> The other engine starts like a dream.<br /><br /> The hard starting engine had the powerhead replaced because the engine blew (no compression in some cylinders).<br /><br /> The interesting point is that this engine was hard starting before and after the powerhead replacement.<br /> Am I right that with a powerhead replacement everything is replaced except for the carb and lower unit?<br /> I am going to try SwampShark's method of choking this week.<br /> I did verify the "choke" was working by pushing it in after the engine was running and the engine did stall.

24gradyexp

Cadet

Best method I used on my 92 Johnson 225 was pump the bulb hard, turn key to on push in choke count to 8. Turn off key, re pump bulb hard, turn key back to on, push in and turn to start. Keep nursing the primer to keep it running after it starts if it wants to stall. Still killed mosquitoes when started but would start rather quickly after sitting for a week or two.<br />Just as Doctor Hadley ordered.<br />Check that your quick start is working as well. On cold starts, motor should rev higher as the timing is changed