200 efi water pump not peeing

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
i just bought a 95 merc 200 efi engine one of the previous owners had ran it hot and burnt a piston.the next owner spent 3grand on it having a full rebuild done, with 6 new pistons and everything else. they also replaced the water pump. i started it up today and the telltale was not working, so i checked and it was stopped up with dirt dobbers i unstopped it and can blow through it, but i cannot get any water to pump through the heads to the telltale.i dont know how long it would take at 53 degree air temp, with it on earmuffs to open the thermostats up.and i didnt want to burn up a new powerhead, that hasnt even been ran through its break in period...thanks

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 200 efi water pump not peeing

what temp does the thermostat usually open up at on these engines ?

mca1634

Cadet

i had the same problem. you should change the water pump (impeller). i had just bought the boat as well and didn't want to overheat the engine. the 200 efi's run higher than most engines. someone told me on i boats and i believe it was well over 200 degrees.

bubbers44

Cadet

I just got the manual for my 97 200 hp EFI and the thermostats should open about 200 degrees letting water go through and out the tell tale pissing hole. I just replaced both thermostats but that didn't fix my warning horn from sounding even right after start with a cold engine. They still were badly corroded and needed replacing. If you remove the engine cover you can feel the cylinders to make sure they don't get too hot and run the engine to see if they are opening.

I had a mechanic replace my water pump a couple of years ago and he must have cut the impeller crosswise with a screwdriver because 10 months later it overheated because the impeller split and the shaft was spinning inside the impeller. I guess you could remove a thermostat and see if the pump was pumping up to that point.