200 crossflo intake

grampa's toy

Seaman
I have repowered my 84 150 with a 80 200 hp. the 200 has the 150 intake and carbs . I now have the 200 intake but not carbs. Will I see better performance with the 200 intake and 150 carbs or should I wait till I get carbs? what is the # for the 200 carbs ? I think I found some for 175$ is this a good price . thanks for any help!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 crossflo intake

The intakes and reeds are virtually the same. Seeing any difference with larger carbs will depend on your set up and hull design. <br /><br /> Generally, as a rule of thumb the larger carbs will --<br />Develop slightly more top rpm (depending)--<br />Deliver a slightly slower holeshot --<br />Have slightly slower throttle response --<br />Burn more fuel.<br /><br />If you have a hull that responds well to small torque increases (a pad V with a step or a tunnel hull), and your current set up is maxed out with the 150 carbs, you may see an increase in top speed. <br /><br />We used to run small carbs on short race courses (for response) and larger carbs for absolute top speed on very long courses.<br /><br />Overall, on most recreational set ups we find the 1 1/4" carbs work best overall. <br /><br />Good luck!

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dhadley <br /><br />I have a 1985 Evinrude XP 150. What can I do to increase the hp to 175, or to maximum performance?<br /><br />DoferGofer.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Most likely you already have more than a standard 175. The port timing, area and configuration on the 150 and 175 is the same. The ports on some of the 150 XP/GT's were the same as the 200's. The XP/GT heads have an excellent swirl pattern chamber.<br /><br />Optmizing performance is like taking a trip. You have to know where you are now, you have to define where you want to be and then you can begin your journey. <br /><br />Tell us more about your set up, hull, prop and present performance. Then we can decide where you want to go and the different ways to get there.<br /><br />Let us know!

grampa's toy

Seaman

I was told that the differance between the 150 & the 200 hp was in the port timing , as they have the same bore & stroke but I thought the intake had different ports also. my boat is a wellcraft 21 ft center counsel run on the great lakes , I'm looking for some performance but lake conditions usally limit speed, it would be fun but I'm not out for bass boat performance 40 mph at wot would be enough for me .if the intake doesn't need to be changed I understand what you mean on the carbs and will run what I have .thanks for the information.

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 19 ft. 2003 Key West Center Console Sportman fishing boat. I installed my old 1985 Evinrude XP 150, which has been sitting idle on my old runabout for the past twelve years without use since 1988. To convert to the 2003 instrumentation I used OMC’s conversion kit to adapt my 1985 engine’s electrical to the 2003 Key West.<br />I also converted my engine from the no wire VRO to the new four wire VRO, using the recommended conversion wiring harness.<br />Everything, warning horns, lights all seems to work ok until a few days ago, the tach went haywire. It will zero out when the key is turned on and when the engine starts, it will go up to 800 Rpm’s or so and fall back to zero.<br />The Voltmeter registers 12 volts with the key switch on, and 12 to 13.5 with the engine running at idle speeds.<br />I disconnected the Tach terminal and reconnected it without success. The tach is sill lame. <br /><br />At any rate, I took her out crabbing yesterday for about five hours of constant running. At the beginning of the trip the motor started up and ran fine out of the mariner. Once I started to accelerate it stumble and sputtered I pulled back and then it cleared up and ran with a few misses for about couple of minutes. Then ran just fine out to my crabbing spot, about five mile trip. The volt meter show about 13.5 volts at idle and when moving along at about 30 miles an hour the volt meter show about 14 volts and my hummingbird 400 TX show a volt reading of 14.5 to 14.9 volts. <br />While crabbing at speeds of 2, to 2.5 mph (GPS) the voltmeter and hummingbird 400 TX, show 13.5 volts. Therefore, I am going to assume that the charging system is ok and that the tach is just bad and I need to replace it with a new one. <br /><br />Back to the sputtering and missing, I am going to pull the plugs, which have about twenty-five hours. Also, I am going to ohms test the coils and rebuild the carburetors, since they have never been cleaned since I bought the engine new in 1985. I suppose they are due since the engine sit unused for 12 years. <br />One other thing I didn’t mention, I ran a compression test after the first outing, and the results were all six cyclinder were at 60 lbs. After decarbing, and about twenty hrs of use. the compression now is Port side 115, 112, 112, Starboard 115, 114, 116.<br /><br />Finaly, I notice a lot of black ooze running down the outside the exhaust housing, this was very bad when I first start using the engine but, has slowed very much after twenty-five hours of use. But, never when it was new. <br /><br />Last but not the least, the prop is a SST 14 1/4X21+ when the tach was working I could get it to about 5,000 WOT. I plan to re-prop to a 14 1/4 X 19 However, I suppose I need to rebuild the carbs and test the ign. coils or whatever it takes to cure the missing when the engine is cold. Runs fine after it is warm.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

grampa -- the difference between the standard 150/175 and the 200 block is indeed in the port configuration. The heads are different also. Some of the XP/GT 150's had the 200 port configuration, or at least was very very close. The XP/GT heads are different also. While they may not have the static compression numbers of some "harder" heads, like the 78-79 small bore 235 heads, they have excellent combustion chambers that produce very good swirl patterns. This produces a more complete burn of the fuel and therefore a more efficient combustion.<br /><br />The trick is in the set up. Tell us more about how yours is set up and how its doing now. Also if you changed anything between the 150 and the 200 powerhead -- like props (even if you just had it redone) or the X dimension.<br /><br />Good luck!

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Preview <br />Hello,<br /><br />I am sorry if I butted in on a conversation that I was not involved. I am just trying to solve some of my problems and thought that we could do it together. I will try to solve my problem in an topic of it own.<br /><br />Please forgive the intrusion.<br /><br />DoferGofer. <br /> <br /><br />Close This Window <br /><br />Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.2.1.1

grampa's toy

Seaman

not a problem on the intrusion . My boat is a 1976 wellcraft cc. the motor was a 150 crossflo it overheated third time out .water coming out the weep hole on the top of the head on starboard side. compression check showed port side bottom cly. down 30 psi. I bought a 1980 200hp powerhead. the head # is 328324 -328325 the intake and carbs are off the 150 carbs rebuilt and rejetted by the shop (should have done this myself) I was told Jetted up till the plugs looked good. I had a 14 1/2 19 prop, no tach. the boat ran 40 mph wot with 2 people on old motor Timing problem on new motor 20 deg. left me stranded now at 32 deg ,mech said he drove boat got 4600 rpm wot about 40 mph sugg reprop.I took boat out at wot it ran slower and slower till I backed off ran well half throttle I put a 15 x 17 stainless michigan wheel prop on weather has kept me off lake erie I now have tach installed I changed plugs to champion ql16v from ul77v new gas line from tank to motor

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What do you mean by "the carbs were rejetted"? To what? And why 32 degrees timing? Why was it at 20 to start with?<br /><br />At 4600 top rpm that motor will most likely die rather quickly.

grampa's toy

Seaman

dhadly the mech said there was 3 different timing settings for my motor 19 deg. 22 and 32. he didn't know where to start setteled on 20 the motor sounded good tied to the dock he said.It ran like crap when I took it out.He changed timing to 32 deg. took the boat out said it ran 4600 rpm at wot suggested a reprop.he rejetted the carbs but I don't know what to.he said the 200 takes a 59 but since I had the 150 carbs I didn't need that big.when I ran the boat it started going slower the more throttle I gave,it would have quit if I ran over half throttle. I have repropped to a 15x17 and added a tach. I think something isn't right. had the boat 1 yr been out 6 times spent 3200$ and I'm worried about burning it up.

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks grampa's toy for allowing me to tag along. Since we have simular boats and motors, hopefuly I can learn some from your post. I will lurk in in the background and stay out of your conversation.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />DoferGofer.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

DoferGofer -- please feel free to jump in. I was going to get to your ?'s but work got in the way. It would be nice to post a new thread so the answers would be specific to your situation (you may have already done so -- I just got back in the office and have just started to look).<br /><br />Grampa - The correct timing for your motor (with 200 heads -- stock) is 28 degrees. I dont know where he got 19 and 22. That sounds like a 3 cylinder looper and an early V4 looper. There was a V6 CF at 32 but with specific heads and carbs. <br /><br />Have him put your 150 carbs back at the stock jetting. Carbs are calibrated for the venturi size and specific metering for air flowing thru it. Not as to what its bolted to. <br /><br />Something is drasticaly wrong if top rpm is only 4600. Not hitting on all 6 -- plug wires crossed -- one carb not working -- not getting full throttle advance, something very basic.<br /><br />Keep us posted!

grampa's toy

Seaman

update today I got out The boat started fine idle is good. the boat doesn't miss smoothest it has ran so far. the 17 pitch prop is a noticable differance. at wot I get 4500 to 4600 no bog but I left it there less than a minute. ran about 36 mph this is slower than the 150 with the bad cyl. and a 19 pitch prop I think it is the carbs too but I'm tired of taking the boat back. what is a good baseline for the 200 hp with the 150 carbs

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A good baseline is with whatever carbs you choose with their original jetting. You hit the nail on the head -- the boat is slower than it was with a hurt powerhead. <br /><br />Your mechanic needs to run the boat himself and come up with a solution. You are about 1000 to 1200 rpm off. Something is wrong besides the propeller.<br /><br />I cant tell you how many 200 powerheads we have sold for 150's and never said so. There was no rejetting, no adjusting nor fiddling with the powerhead. And they all ran just fine. The most frequent comment was about how good it ran.<br /><br />Start with the basics -- there is no black majic invloved with using a 200 powerhead.