20 " rims on my trailer.

armenk35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey guys i just bought a 2001 fourwins traler and i just want to know if its ok to put a 20" rims off of my car? and if not ok then why. thank you

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 20 " rims on my trailer.

Would look uuuuugleeeee, but that is in the eye of the beholder.

Have you checked on the availability of trailer tires (ST) in 20" sizes?? That is important.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

My first thought was 'why'? j/k My second thought was aren't you going to have to back in deeper at the ramp?

Splat

Lieutenant

I would think besides the ugly factor the problem would be finding bias trailer tires to fit a 20" rim. No you can't just use a standard car tire. It will sway and be dangerous as all hell.

Bill

Flying Sushi

Seaman

I would not recommend it unless you can find a set of ST (trailer) rated tires for it.
Unlike regular cars, the side wall of Trailer tier must flex and absorb shocks so thin wall and tread set up will not a good idea for trailers especially if you have a tandem or multi axles.... These tires have to slide sideways when you take very tight corner (or backing up) so sidewall flex is a big factor for trailers.
But They would look super cool if we can do it....
my 2C

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pimp-My-Trailer :)

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

would need a deep launch and have to think of not only your safety but others around you

drivehard

Seaman Apprentice

If you keep the same diameter as the original tires that are on there, I don't see a problem.

If you currently have a 205/75-15 on your trailer you would be going to something like a 225/40-20 to keep the same diameter. Those sidewalls would be so short (only 3.5") as well as being a performance oriented tire, that flex would not be an issue IMHO.

Make sure the load rating exceeds what the current trailer tire load rating is, and post up some pics!

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

most car rims ant trailer rims are not inter changeable because the bolt patterens are different.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

20" rims require low profile tires which is a complete no no on a trailer. Trailers have limited travel on the suspension and the tires absorb a lot of the shock going over bumps. A low profile tire can not handle this. We are not even going into the fact that there would be no low profile ST tires available or the fact that the offsets of the wheels would be completly wrong for trailer use.

woosterken

Lieutenant

how you going to fit them under the fenders? and if you raise them you will have to raise the boat to clear
then how the h**l you going to get off?

woosterken

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like a cool thing to do for some flash but not a good idea due to all the input above. Sidewall flex, suspension, did anyone mention the higher probability of a snakebite due to crimped bead ? curb rash, ya ya ya
Overall diameter may not change as it is the WHEEL diameter we are talking about changing (thus far), not the tire diameter which would be the mitigating factor about a change in height.

Easy enough to compare at www.tirerack.com. Maybe find some cool wheels or dress up the the exg. ones with some chrome or powder coat to match something on the package.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I guess that I just don't get it...?

Trailering a boat to the water is already an adventure...why triple the potential problems for a little 'bling' (right word?). Besides...my roadside trailer assistance membership driver would probably look at my 20" rims...shake his head...and drive off.

Guess my age is kicking in here...do whatever 'blows your dress up'! :p :D

SoTexGuero

Cadet

I would not recommend it unless you can find a set of ST (trailer) rated tires for it.
Unlike regular cars, the side wall of Trailer tier must flex and absorb shocks so thin wall and tread set up will not a good idea for trailers especially if you have a tandem or multi axles.... These tires have to slide sideways when you take very tight corner (or backing up) so sidewall flex is a big factor for trailers.
But They would look super cool if we can do it....
my 2C

OMG...thanks for the info. That answers so many questions I pondered while buying a recent set of trailer tires ($$ ka-jing:eek:).

armenk35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow you guys scared the h**l out of me. i have 15 s now and will go to 10" lol thanks alot guys

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen them on some very expensive racing boat set-ups. They are available, where? don't know. Expensive? judging from the money spent on the boat, I would say VERY.:eek:

Otherwise, the above explains the reason why you need to stick with trailer tires and rims. Flex is a factor and so is load capacity. Trailer tires are designed to maximize both.