20 and 15" Transoms in Aluminum Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

msrcarrera

Cadet
What are the advantages and disadvantages of 20" and 15" transoms? From what I have heared 20" is always better? Is this correct?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 20 and 15" Transoms in Aluminum Boats

Always better for what? Again, there are many issues to consider. A boat with a 20" transom will do better in rough weather, but will be a larger boat, overall, and will require higher horsepower.

The issue isn't really the transom height, so much. The real issue is about how you plan to use your boat. I see from another post that you're talking about tiller steering. Look at the horsepower capacity of whatever boat you're considering. Tiller steering on outboards over about 40 hp means that you'll need power assist, and that's an expensive addition. But, if the boat is rated for 80 hp, you won't get the performance you want from a 40 hp outboard.

What's better or worse depends on the use and design. There are simple questions, but there are rarely simple answers for those questions.

John_S

Rear Admiral

"Always" is a strong word. Seldom are there absolutes. For the most part, everything else being equal, a 20" will have a larger motor, person, and weight capacity. It will weigh more and require a larger motor to get the same/similar on plane and/or wot top speed performance.

msrcarrera

Cadet

Thanks for the replies! If for example you go to the Mirrocraft website, and see the deep V utility boats, the same boat is offered with either a 15 or 20" transom. I personally like the extra safety margin of a 20" transsom. On the flipside, are there any advantages of a 15' transom of the same boat?

CATransplant

Admiral

For one thing, it's easier to buy medium to large horsepower outboards for a 20" transom. I'm not sure what that boat needs, in terms of horsepower, but it's a 16' deep v aluminum hull. It won't be less than 40 hp at a minimum. It's a lot easier today to find a 40 hp tiller model that is a long shaft, especially if you're buying used. If you're buying new, it's still easier. mid to high horsepower tiller outboards are hard to find on the used market, since they're generally a special order item.

If you use the boat on rough water or large lakes, a 20" transom is a must.

Funny face

Recruit
Does anyone know why starcrafts have holes in the bottom front of the boat,,,where the lil fins are

southkogs

Staff member
Let's assume the guys from back in 2010 aren't gonna' come back for that one.

Please don't post in topics over 90 days old. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.