2 stroke mixed fuel usable in autos?

Fervbob

Recruit
I have a few gallons of 50:1 fuel w/ outboard oil that I won't be needing anymore. There is some Stabil in the fuel can also. I wondered if I could add this to the fuel tank on my 1999 Mazda pickup, say a gallon or two at a time after refueling the truck so that it will be fairly diluted. Anyone know a reason why this would be a bad idea? I'd hate to dispose of this fuel if I can still put it to use. Thanks!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 stroke mixed fuel usable in autos?

I have been putting the "dregs" in my vehicles bit by bit for the last 30 years or so. Do it that way and you will be fine!!!!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I have a few gallons of 50:1 fuel w/ outboard oil that I won't be needing anymore. There is some Stabil in the fuel can also. I wondered if I could add this to the fuel tank on my 1999 Mazda pickup, say a gallon or two at a time after refueling the truck so that it will be fairly diluted. Anyone know a reason why this would be a bad idea? I'd hate to dispose of this fuel if I can still put it to use. Thanks!

I don't claim to be an expert, but I've done it on my pickup. But mine is older and carbureted. I think last time I did it I put 4-5 gallons of 50:1 into a 10 or so gallons of plain gas, so it was close to 150:1 Noticed nothing different.

By the way, the Stabil is a non issue. It is intended to be used for any gasoline vehicle.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Actually acts as an upper cylinder lubricant to a certain extent.

45Auto

Commander

After hurricane Katrina, I drove my 97 Saturn (fuel injected 4 cyl) for 3 weeks on the 35 gallons of 50:1 that was in my boat. That was 3 years ago and it still gets 31 MPG around town, 38 MPG on the highway. Never could tell any difference.

Fervbob

Recruit

Looks like pretty unanimous concurrence, then! I will make good use of this can of gas in my truck. Thanks to all of you who responded.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like pretty unanimous concurrence, then! I will make good use of this can of gas in my truck. Thanks to all of you who responded.

I dump 50:1 left overs in my Nissan also ... without problems ... since oil weakens gas I fill up with high test when using the mixture.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

At the price it is you can not just throw it away !!!!

mthieme

Captain

I have old Farmall tractors which of course were designed back in the days of unleaded fuel which of course is no longer available. I add a few ounces of oil to the tank to lubricate the valves.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was a "Farm Mechanic'" now I sell cars. I always run mixed gas in my Briggs and Stratton, lawn mower. And I have run it in my truck, Generator, etc..

I have even run fuel that customer have filled Diesel vehicles up with Gas. Only if my Gas Tank is atleast 3/4's full of Gas I have topped up with the Diesel/Gas mixture.