2-stroke carbed 'rude on Veggie oil, first run

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class
With the rising cost of gasoline and other petroleum products, my enterprise elected to experiment with a 1982 evinrude 55hp 2 cylinder; altering such motor to run on used cooking oil from fast food restaurants. This idea was a spinoff of the "biodiesel" rage. Why not for a boat?<br />We started off by mixing:<br />5 gallons of used frying oil.<br />4 gallons of maze grain alcohol.<br />15 ounces of turpentine as a dilution agent.<br /><br />After mixing the above as our fuel source, we placed pure veggie oil in the VRO container and took it out on a trial. Results:<br /><br />Engine intitally refused to start. A few shots of ether from a can got it running. Very stinky smoke after a few moments, but it idled well.<br />Upon advancing the throttle, engine bogged and died. Would not restart. A few shots of ether from a spray can into the carbs got her running again.<br />We finally were able to get the boat up on plane, but only with occasional shots of ether every 10-12 seconds. The ether was needed to keep the engine running.<br />Eventually, after about 18 minutes, the engine refused to operate. We deposited it in the public disposal area among the I-95 median.<br /><br />The answer may be an automatic ether injection system. Wow, it would be great to fry your fish and run your boat off of the leftovers.<br /><br /><br />Note: a joke.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2-stroke carbed 'rude on Veggie oil, first run

well its odd that we ran p-250 pumps on JP-5 with no problems, started on propane and switcned to JP-5. the ship carried no gasoline and the p-250 is an omc 55 HP omc power head mounted to a pump. JP-5 is refined kerosene.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Rodbolt.<br />Johnnyrude engines have been running on kerosine in certain parts of the Far East and Pacific since forever, mostly because of lack of availability of other fuels.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Doesn't ether wash oil off the cylinder walls and bearings and cause obvious resultant problems?

D

DJ

If it's the primary fuel source, why put it in the oil injection tank? Why not run regular TCW-3 as the lube and the veggie mix as the fuel source? I think the failure here was the lube oil, not necessarily the fuel.<br /><br />Rolmops is absolutely right. J-Rudes have been running kerosine for years. Mil. engines will burn jet fuel. JP-5 I believe.<br /><br />It doesn't seem like a stretch to me that a bio/kero mixture could be concocted relatively easily.<br /><br />I have many customers that run as much as 20% bio in their diesels with no ill effects. <br /><br />The biggest issue with bio is algea bloom. If tanks are kept clean it is quite controllable.