2 stroke 4 stroke props all the same?

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I have many charts for outboard motor props listing years and HP for applacations. They also include inboard applacations. Not one says anything about 2 stroke 4 stroke applacation. <br />I don't care about proformance Thats comes with your own trial and error. I want to know if these charts already take in to account that there are 4 stroke motors in the same HP as 2 strokes. <br />Are the shaft sizes, spline count the same? These are new up to date charts 2003 Some charts say fits 1971 and up, so they are saying a 1974 70 hp 2 stroke has the same prop shaft as a 2003 70 4 stroke ?<br />steve

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 stroke 4 stroke props all the same?

I'm sure you mean propshaft but in most cases they are the same. Some manufacturers fool around with gearcase sizes but in general they will interchange.<br /><br />What motor are you working with?

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dhadley Thanks I am not working with any motor I just have acess to many props from time to time and sell them. I have only resonly been asked about 2 stroke 4 stroke applications.<br />steve

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stinky,<br />The torque profiles of 2 strokes and 4 strokes are different througout the HP range. This means that propping is not the same.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Thats ok I just need to know what engines they fit. They guys buying the props can work out the own performance issues!<br />steve