2 Questions - 1 regarding charging, the other trim/prop

simon_canada

Cadet
Hey guys,<br /><br />Looking for a bit of insight here..<br />The boat is a '90 Doral TRX with a 110 Evinrude V4 on the back.<br /><br />Problem: Charging issue; After having the boat for about a week, the boat wouldn't start. Took it back to the marina, where they checked the power pack, etc. and decided it was the battery itself that was the issue. Replaced the power pack, no change, so reverted back to old one, then they changed the battery, and voila, it was up and running again. It was for about 7 weeks. (using it every weekend, about 10 runs a weekend), and then one day, it wouldn't start (too little power). Got a boost, and I was on my way. But it won't charge, the only way we get it to go, is by running an external power source.. otherwise voltage gets soo low, it won't run anything, nor trim the motor up and down.<br /><br />It's back at the marina (under goodwill) and he says it's the RECTIFIER that is the problem, and is replacing it. But that doesn't seem to make sense to me, as it drops consistently, and isn't holding, even when running..<br /><br />Any thoughts from anyone else?<br /><br /><br />Second, slightly offtopic question, was regarding the trim/prop, the dealer said he believed we were running the trim too high, as the paint was coming off the prop. We recently installed a stingray on the cavitation plate (which worked wonders for out of the hole and fuel economy, not to mention overall stability), but, am perplexed by his poor explanation as to saying we are running the trim too high... how is that taking the paint off, and how do we rectify this? The boat stays on plane very easily, and we only adjust the trim up to save on fuel, and hit higher speeds. Is it the speed that's doing it, or? Hopefully someone can please enlighten me!<br /><br />Thanks in advance guys, You are amazing!<br /><br /> -- Simon

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 Questions - 1 regarding charging, the other trim/prop

Hi The rectifier turns 15 volts AC into 13.8-14.5 volts DC this is how the battery charges so its sounds right. One way the rctifier goes bad it to reverse polarity to the battery very easyly done just take one slight touch. The trim question seems out of bounds to me. I run my motor to trim for the fastest speed and max rpms. The paint on my prop last about 1 hr which means nothing to me??

simon_canada

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I guess we will see how it turns out in a few days when the part comes in.<br /><br />Anyone for Idea's on the prop/trimming?<br /><br />They said we could risk breaking a blade off!?

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The boat is a '90 Doral TRX with a 110 Evinrude V4 on the back.
Reckon we're all relieved to hear the motor's on the back. You've avoided a whole heap of trouble by putting it there!<br /><br />Couldn't resist that .....<br /><br />Prop trimming? Nah - nowt's gonna keep the paint on, however you trim it. Paint's nuttin. If you're ventilating all the time, you're trimming up too high - but you'd soon know that anyway. From what you describe, you know by experience just how to trim for efficiency. That's what the trim's for, ennit?

simon_canada

Cadet

Originally posted by Stillfishing:<br />
The boat is a '90 Doral TRX with a 110 Evinrude V4 on the back.
Reckon we're all relieved to hear the motor's on the back. You've avoided a whole heap of trouble by putting it there!<br /><br />Couldn't resist that .....<br /><br />Prop trimming? Nah - nowt's gonna keep the paint on, however you trim it. Paint's nuttin. If you're ventilating all the time, you're trimming up too high - but you'd soon know that anyway. From what you describe, you know by experience just how to trim for efficiency. That's what the trim's for, ennit?
Smartass! :D <br /><br />Yeah, I really don't know why he says the paint coming off is an indicator that the prop is about to fall apart.. or crack, who knows..

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Reckon he's overstocked on stainless props, and he wants to sell you one!

simon_canada

Cadet

Yeah, go figure eh.<br /><br />No, fortunately, this is an older gentleman, in a family-owned and operated business, that is VERY small. He just does it to keep busy.. and is very reputable.. if there is anything wrong with the boat, he comes to our lake, to take it out, and take it to the shop during the week, so we have it on weekends, and to date, I haven't been charged a penny.. and the boat purchase - was a steal!

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So I did the guy a diservice. Trouble is, so many dealers are ripoff merchants ...<br /><br />The rectifier does sound as though it might be the cause of your no-charge issue.<br /><br />As for the trim - from your description it sounds as though you know how to use the trim, and I can't see that you're doing anything that would cause prop damage. Stick with it.<br /><br />Also from what you've said, your gentleman dealer does seem to be running through a series of guesses on both issues and not approaching either from a logical viewpoint. Nice guy maybe, but I would question his judgement even so.

simon_canada

Cadet

Yup.<br /><br />Nice guy indeed.<br /><br />He's dropping the boat off at the lake tomorrow, and wants to come up on the weekend to see how we are using the boat.<br /><br />Says we shoulda bought a ski boat instead.<br /><br />80% of our boating is towing a skier/tuber/kneeboarder, etc. On a 16ft runabout with the 110HP outboard, I figured what we bought, we do the job qutie nicely.. he seems to think otherwise.. <br /><br />I guess we'll see!