2 PC. Exhuast manifold conversion

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2 PC. Exhuast manifold conversion

Ayuh,.... At the very least, you'll need the elbows that go from the risers to the y-pipe, 'n the rubber couplers that connect 'em,...

'n No, I donno which 1s ya need, nor do I know whether yer y-pipe is the same as other y-pipes,...

But, I have seen "Kits" for what yer doin',....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You need the kit with the short elbow (5.2" bolts). Just be very suspicious of those gaskets, they don't look like the genuine ones.

As Bondo said, you need the tubes and rubber couplings too.

The exhaust Y-pipes are different between the one and 2 piece, but using the correct rubber tube (between the ali tube and Y-pipe should solve that problem)....

Chris.....

I've had a look at PPTs' website and they have a single to 2 piece conversion kit. (http://www.perfprotech.com/mercruis...ece-conversion-kit-102979kit-1/product/242737). It might be worth talking to them about using the dry joint manifolds and elbows in that kit as it gives you the other hardware you need.

Last edited:

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

PPT uses manifolds by HGE. I haven't seen anything about this manufacturer on this forum. Opinions?

NHGuy

Captain

I rejected HGE when offered to me. Their castings are really rough in appearance. And are produced "overseas".
The setup you picked is very high quality and will last almost, or possibly, forever.
BTW Moore Performance offers nice exhaust conversions using quality major aftermarket brands. If you haven't clicked Order" yet, this will do the job and save you some dinero. MercruiserV6conversionkit

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain

Exhaust manifolds are iron and awkward to install down in a boat engine. When you or your installer go to install the new parts get 2 extra length bolts that are the same thread as the exhaust manifold bolts. Grind off the heads, hand thread 'em into the motor, slide on the exhaust manifold gasket, slide on the exhaust manifold, put in some real bolts partway, then remove the headless bolts and install the last 2 real ones. This a huge back and time saver.

Also take pictures of the old system beforehand as a reference.

Last edited:

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great idea with cutting off the bolt heads and using them like a dowl.