2 hp West bend outboard

pursuit 3800

Cadet
I found a two horsepower westbend outboard in my garage and was curious as to how old it is and how to restore it to running condition. The motor is a model 2801 serial number 1641. It has an integral tank and appears to be a 4 stroke but I cannot confirm this. Does anyone know about this thing? Thanks in advance for any help.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2 hp West bend outboard

Welcome to iboats. Can't find those numbers in my book, but it only goes to 1959. I don't think West Bend ever made a 4-stroke. That's probably an air-cooled 2-stroke. I think Chrysler bought them in 1964, so that should help narrow it down at least...1960 - 63. You found it in your garage? I thought I had a mess in mine, but I pretty well know what's in there. How do you suppose it got there?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

the fairies left it....
42.gif

alcan

Commander

Hi Persuit<br />Your 2hp West Bend is a 1958 model air cooled 2-stroke motor. This motor uses Champion J11J gapped @.050 point gap .020 , the fuel/oil ratio is 1/2 pint to the gal, or 1cup to the gal. West Bend also bulit motors for Sears to sell under their Elgin banner. West Bend was later bought out by Chrysler to form Chrysler Marine div. Chrysler in tirn sold to U.S. Marine , they sold the motors as Force. Brunswick (Mercury) bought out force and discontinued production.

pursuit 3800

Cadet

Easy I bought the house. Since the house is over 60 years old, there is no telling what is in the garage or attic. Should be fun exploring though. Back to the motor though is it worth restoring or should I relegate it to the scrap-pile of history? From what I can tell it has spark and has a decent compression but what about parts availability?

alcan

Commander

The motor probably doesn't need restored. It is not rare nor is it an antique. You may need to clean the tank and carb. Set it up in a trash can of water, put some mixed gas in it amd see if it will run. If you really want them, most service parts are available. Since there are many thousand of these motors around used parts hard parts are fairly common.

pursuit 3800

Cadet

Does anyone know where I can find a owners manual for this thing? It wants to run, but definately needs a carb and I need to know the controls. Thanks again.

alcan

Commander

Hi Persuit<br />The only place I know of might be the public library. If you will post your email adress I will try and send you a page or two. I am not being stingy, that is all I have. I would imagine that is all there ever was.

alcan

Commander

Pursuit, I haven't forgot about you. I can't seem to get my scanner fired up. I'm working on it. I will send the info as soon as I can.

pursuit 3800

Cadet

Thanks Alcan, got the pics just fine. Looking up the motor in the local library, keeps bringing me back to blenders. Pulled the carb apart and cleaned it up. Thing actually runs decent just have to keep fiddling with the idle control at very low speed. Probably just a leak in a gasket somewhere. Thanks again.

sunnyuno

Recruit

Reference to ALCAN and Pursuit 3800: 2HP West Bend Motor.
I have my Dad's from 1958 with serial number 1640 so how many chances in a world of basements does that happen? He bought his in 58 for 104.95 in New
Port News, Va from BF Goodrich Co. I have some documentation that I will try to scan when I get time (great period stuff and technical also). any advise before I start it up as I have never owned an outboard. Is it OK to use gas with ethanol in it or should I get some Coleman gas (I think it is supposed to be pure unleaded). It is in pristine condition and boxed up like new since about 1960 when his boat sank in a storm and never go to replace it. Thing even traveled to Turkey when he was in the Army.