"2-hose" to fuel-pump conversion...second thoughts. Someone smack some sense into me

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"2-hose" to fuel-pump conversion...second thoughts. Someone smack some sense into me

Hey folks,

I haven't posted in a while, but the '53 Super Fastwin (15012) restoration continues.

Since I received the motor without a tank, my immediate thought was "where will I find one?" I turned to the 'net to search, only to find lots of websites about converting these old 2-hose engines to fuel-pump systems.

It seemed logical, so that's what I did.

There's not a lot of room under the cowl, so things "had to go where they had to go", but the execution came out pretty nicely, if I do say so myself.

But lately, I can't shake a recurring thought: 2 hose systems & tanks are readily available all over the place, eBay (of course!) being the most obvious. So why am I screwing around with all this fuel-pump silliness?

Why not just get a 2-hose tank, restore it, too...and let the engine run the way it was intended to?

At the end of the day, I'm certain that the cylinders don't care how the fuel was delivered. So my mental ping-pong is surely a waste of energy on my part.

Yet I can't shake the notion of yanking the pump & hoses and doing a "full" restoration....tank & all.

I do not yet own a tank of any sort (heck, I don't even own a boat!), so there's no "point of no return" by any stretch.

Someone: please....shove me one way or the other, ok?

64osby

Admiral
Re: "2-hose" to fuel-pump conversion...second thoughts. Someone smack some sense int

Re: "2-hose" to fuel-pump conversion...second thoughts. Someone smack some sense int

There is no right or wrong here. It is personal preference.

Pressure tanks are expensive, or more expensive then single line tanks.

I have a 5hp and a 18hp that run on pressure tanks. I have a 10hp that I converted. I have another 10 that still needs to be completed and not sure which way it will go.

If your nostalgic go to the pressure tank. If not find a single line tank and make sure your system and motor works. Get a boat put it on the water and have fun. You can always convert it back in the non boating season. My .02

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I've heard folks here say it costs about the same, which ever way you go. I was lucky enough to collect a few of these pressure tanks over the last year or so, so I'm staying with them. What I would do, if I was you, is join up with the aomci and go to their meets and someone will probably sell you one cheap. Guys bring motors and accessories to these meets with the intention of selling them, usually and rather than loading it up at the end of the day, they may knock the price down a bit. Post a want ad on your local Craigs list. I did that once and got a nice working 6 gallon tank for $10. It don't usually happen, but it does occasionally.

kfa4303

Banned

I think it's just a matter of preference. Doing the conversion is nice because you can use any modern tank with OMC fittings and hook it right up and go. You can get parts and accessories at places like Wal-mart, which is handy. Plastic tanks also come in more sizes,shapes and configurations than the old metal jobbers, which might be an issues if you want/need to put the tanks in a tight spot, or want extended range. However, at the end of the day, as long as the motor gets gas, that's all that matters. Fuel pump is a bit more "convenient" (of course you have to do the conversion itself), pressure tank is a bit more "correct".

nwcove

Admiral

ive had the same dilemma , i do have a working pressure tank, but ive converted two motors so far, and plan to convert the others. i picked up a steel single line tank, that looks somewhat period correct, so that will be the 16:1 tank. my reasoning was....if i had an issue with a pressure tank on a friday , there would be no way i could get o-rings/gaskets etc etc, and be boating on saturday, but with the conversion, there would be a very good chance i could get parts on short notice, do a 15 minute fix and be on the water.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the idea that my motor, in it's "converted" setup, could benefit from immediately-available, off-the-shelf parts is swaying me towards "leaving it with the fuel pump".

And, if I want, I can get an old cruise-a-day 6gal tank with a one-hose setup....they're "out there", too.

So for now, yeah....I'll stick with the fuel pump.

Thanks for the reality check.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I find it easiest to just have 2 of every hp motor, from every year, then depending on your mood you can simply take the tank you desire that day :)

nwcove

Admiral

I find it easiest to just have 2 of every hp motor, from every year, then depending on your mood you can simply take the tank you desire that day :)

that was my plan for girlfriends 25 years ago...two of each "hp" , and depending on my mood i could take the one i desired that day! things didnt work out that way, but i ended up with a 1965 that works well, has an occasional lean sneeze, but is easily fixed with dinner and a movie! :p

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that was my plan for girlfriends 25 years ago...two of each "hp" , and depending on my mood i could take the one i desired that day! things didnt work out that way, but i ended up with a 1965 that works well, has an occasional lean sneeze, but is easily fixed with dinner and a movie! :p

Mine's a 1951 and does not show any aging

Me, on the other hand is a different story.