2 foot-itis is getting to me.

jasperboy

Seaman
Have enjoyed our 27' Regal Commodore this past season so much that now I'm really getting the itch to go to a 33"+. This was our first season on Lake Erie, and we had such a great time that we are already planning more use next year.

My question is whether we should wait another year and make all our mistakes with this boat before going bigger and newer. Newer and bigger will require payments, which is something I've always avoided. We pay cash for toys in my family!

This time of year there are some great deals coming up, but as much as I want newer and bigger, I keep reminding myself how nice and reliable our current boat is. It meets all our needs, but boy the bigger ones and the more room is intoxicating.

Would love to hear from those who have moved up, and what advice they would offer.

I know there will be more boats next year as well.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 foot-itis is getting to me.

Ok my friend here it is. How many hours were you on the motor this year? How many people aboard? How many times were you limeted by capasity? How many people do you sleep in your Ragal? Are the kids out growing berths? How many times were you not able to go because of your boat size? Do you trailer Slip or bolth? I go to Martha's Vineyard all the time in my Montery 250cr and say to myself as I look at those big sexy cruisers is.. What I am doing and going is the same thing they are and for a crap load less money.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm new "again" to boating, but I must agree with everything black snow said/asked. I had an 18 footer 12 years ago, sold it and went without a boat until 6 weeks ago when I got this Stingray 220CX. I had 2 footitus a little back then, but not now, or not yet, at least. I wanted a boat to go off shore 20 miles and this isn't it, but it does everything else I want, it's paid for, so I'll just stick with it and stay closer to shore. This economy SUCKS !!!

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Going that big I'd say there should be a lot to consider, fuel, slip, storage etc. But if that's not an issue then go for it. I don't think have the in this case 6 foot-itis on Erie is a bad thing. Good luck. Look up in Michigan as there are a lot of boats for sale for a good price.

ziggy

Admiral

What I am doing and going is the same thing they are and for a crap load less money.
that's what i think too. ever pump some gas at the marina and be next to a boat with a large fuel tank? my little 19'er sure looks good at that point. on the other hand. if i had a large pile of money and didn't have a problem spending it cause i still had a large pile of money left when done spending. i reckon i'd get 6' itis real fast too. that's just a guess though. as i'm not in that situation.. i feel lucky if i can fill my 3 five gallon portable fuel cans so i can almost get a full tank of fuel.. i'm just happy to be out boating. it's a blessing that many don't have.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I had 20' itis. Went from a 20' to a 40'. More fuel, more expense (no payments, though), slip fees, more maintenance. I don't regret it a bit...:)

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking to move up from 26 to 31 foot right now. Had the 26 for 15 years, I figure we deserve a bigger, newer boat. Expenses will go up, but oh well.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I've got 6 foot ities

jasperboy

Seaman

Thanks, all good points. I know I should just continue to enjoy the Regal as it meets our needs and is paid for.

With that said a little more room on the deck would be nice when we have guests. Also wouldn't mind a little more room below deck, and an increase of a few feet in both length and width would really do the trick.

Have seen a number of 94-96 models in the 32' range with 11' beams for less that $40K. With ours in trade and a few bucks down... Anyway sometimes the thrill is in the chase.

I am willing to spend more for gas, docking and storage, if I could get a deal on the boat. Our area is full of ones that haven't been in the water for several season due to the economy, guess if I can run into the right deal I'll know it when I see it.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I'm lucky,just got over a case of 18 inch itis.