2 cycle vs. 4 cycle outboard advantages/disadvantages

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Being new to outboards, what are the 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle outboard advantages / disadvantages? I would like to know.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle outboard advantages/disadvantages

For God's sake use the big red "SEARCH" button at the top of your page. You will find hours of relaxing reading for your leisure and entertainment. This topic has been beat to death for several years- I am sure a few will respond here and the debate will begin all over again. On occasion, people get bored and start this thread as a troll...

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, was not looking for a debate and I did not know. I have read the first 3 to four pages in this thread, the Mercury thread, and other threads of my interest when I joined last month and never ran into this topic. It appers some are just looking for a reason to argue or fuss about questions asked. I too have seen the same questions asked again and again, sometimes twice in the same week. I also have seen links given to previously stated answers on this board, then there is you... Sorry, I'll look further

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rg33,<br />Actually this question has been asked before. If you click on the red search link... SEARCH <br /><br />Type in 2cycle vs 4cycle. You will get several threads that will answer your questions.<br /><br />It is like all things. What do YOU want and which do YOU prefer?<br /><br />Z-man please remember we are all here to learn. Sometimes we need to cut the new members a little slack.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is a lot more complex than 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke, rg33.<br /><br />there are:<br />carbureted 2 strokes<br />EFI 2 strokes<br />DFI 2 strokes<br />carbureted 4 strokes<br />and<br />EFI 4 strokes<br /><br />Each has its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.<br /><br />Several threads are in the archives that debate the desirability of each.<br /><br />Happy reading. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The one thing to do, as a final thing, ask your service folks to see a written cost schedule for periodical maintenance for any motors you are considering. <br /><br />Even if you just tell them youre looking at a 200 (or whatever) DFI 2 stroke and an EFI 4 stroke (or whatever). Dont let them say its 4 hours labor plus parts. You want the total cost including parts. That can be very interesting.

BillP

Captain

Get prices on the owner's handbook specified 100hr & 200hr "checkups" on 150hp x 4 stroke Yamahas. To make it even more interesting, price the Evinrude Etec 2 stroke prices and hour specified "checkups".

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Yamaha 225 is almost 90 lbs neavier than the Optimax.<br /> I would go with a saltwater series E-tec.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for your input. I Do not ever want to cause any heated discussions. I was considering another boat and it was one of several things going thru my head. My present motor is a 2 stroke and I was curious. Maybe I was the cat.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

RG33, yours is a very legitimate question. Very. The problem is there is no one answer. Its like which is better, Ford or Chevy? Well, last weekend Dodge was. Just ask Jeremy Mayfield.<br /><br />Don’t feel bad about asking. Most of the guys on the board respect that it’s your decision. Most will suggest things that you might not thought of for your research.<br /><br />Good luck. Let us know what you find out.<br />I like my GMC but my wife lovers her Montero Sport. And WE still seem to get along.....

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto what Dhadley said RG33- an old question (thus the suggestion to search past posts), but a good one. To me, every time it's asked, some more insight comes up, something I hadnt' thought of. For instance, often the debate comes to weight vs. HP and low end performance vs. cruising, etc. etc. The issue of the cost of scheduled maintenance is one I'd not thought of until the past couple of 2 vs 4 stroke discussions. Being an old, carb'd 2 stroke owner, I've settled into a virtual "no expensive maintenance" routine. I just operate it properly and do pretty much on-going care, but no expensive periodic adjustment or shop maintenance is involved. I've learned this might not be the case with any 4 stroke, even the very reliable ones. And the modern various versions of DFI- I'd have to think about that if/when I'm at a decision point.

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tried to do a search on 2cycle vs 4cycle using those terms. got 4 responses including this one. How do I access the archives?

JRJ

Commander

Not an expert, but I've run 2-s and 4-s and I've had better sucess with 4-s. Good luck :cool:

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

rg33-<br /><br />No insult intended with my original post. As you have probably seen here, some folks will ask questions as a Troll just to stir things up a bit. That frustrates me. Oil threads seem to have a way of doing that...often, I think people just start threads to get OilDoc and LubeDude wound up. <br /><br />Your questions has seen a ton of debate over the past few years. Your preference will depend on what is important to you....how you use it, weight, maintenance, a good dealer, low end grunt, top end speed, fuel economy, and 500 other things. There is no one answer- I happen to be one that prefers DFI 2 strokes. But I cannot fault a person for wanting a 4 stroke...or even a carb'd 2 stroke. <br /><br />Research on these boards. You will find more information here than anywhere else on the web on outboards. <br /><br />Best of luck to you...and let us know what you end up doing. <br /><br />Sorry for accusing you of being a Troll.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I typed in 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, got 25 hits.<br /><br />I selected the outboard non repair forum, any date, title only.<br /><br />Note: the further back in the archives you go, the less info you will get on the new current technology.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=038368#000000 <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=037713#000000 <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=038774#000000 <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=036492#000000 <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=035822#000000 <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=039292#000000 <br /><br />Happy reading

rg33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the links. I see the discussions this type of question makes and I believe I have my personal answer, thanks to all