2 cycle oil/gas mix color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...Ok this may seem a bit odd but here goes.

I hitched up the boat today to take her down to the gas station to fill er 'up. Before I left the house I added a quart of 2 cycle oil, enough of oil added with 12 gallons of gas to make a 50:1 ratio. That was O.K

I made it down to the gas station and added 12 gallons of 93 octane, closed the cap, grabbed my receipt and off to the lake for a test run after some work done on the motor. (1971 115 hp Merc)

After I had the boat in the water I pumped the primer bulb and was watching the clear glass inline fuel filter...the gas entered and it was clear to a hazy color!

The question is...all of the gas I have ever mixed has been a bluish green tint...is this normal? maybe an odd brand of gas? I know it mixed well on the way to the lake on the trailer. Mind you I completely drained the tank the night before remade all of the fittings and new fuel lines/primer bulb.

Is this normal maybe? I was thinking of going back down with a gallon can and pre mix 1 gal and see the color? Or should I be going back to the gas station and having a few words?

It would seem odd for it not to mix.. Or am I just crazy:confused:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2 cycle oil/gas mix color?

Premium gas has ethanol in it. If there was water in the tank, the ethanol will mix with the water and settle to the bottom. The oil will stay mixed with the gas and separate from the alcohol/water mix. If that's what's in your carbs, your motor won't get oil, but it still might run. Not Good!

Are you sure your oil was bluish green? Not all of them are.

Oil won't mix with alcohol. If you mistakenly pumped E85 fuel...

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply Willy!

I did not pump E85 for sure. I opened a new container of johnny/rude XD 25 I had sitting around.

I am 99% positive there was no water in my tank, seeing how I drained the tank the night before. I completely disconnected it and took it out of the boat, upside down etc.

Should I try a gallon of there 93 octane and add the same oil to see if its a different color?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you emptied the tank did you flush the lines? Could be just left over stuff in the fuel lines?

Cape Coder

Seaman Apprentice

Have you switched brands of oil? I know we switched brands at work for our 2 stroke landscape equip and the mixed gas is a cloudy brown color. I was paranoid at first that someone forgot to put the oil in the gas but it turns out they did and the new brand oil we use turns the mix the different color

halibutts

Cadet
OK....Tapping a bit out of three tanks , one is brownish orange while the other two are violet blue. I believe the brown mix is the result of non-alcohol fuel in the mix. I have been chasing this goo around for some time. could this be a problem that is switching over to "real" fuel?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It could be that when you dumped the oil in, and then filled it up with gas, the pickup tube didn't have mixed oil and gas in it from the gas level filling up before the oil mixed with the gas properly yet. You can easily fix that by taking the fuel hose and squeezing the primer bulb back into the tank for a few squeezes. It would circulate the unmixed gas back into the tank and pump mixed gas into the fuel hose for the engine. Just a thought...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If engine has a brief smoke when engine is turned on nothing to worry. Remove some mixed fuel/oil, rub it between your fingers, if you can feel the thin oil coat it's mixed correctly. 2 stroke engine oils comes in different dyes same as with fuels.

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
OK....Tapping a bit out of three tanks , one is brownish orange while the other two are violet blue. I believe the brown mix is the result of non-alcohol fuel in the mix. I have been chasing this goo around for some time. could this be a problem that is switching over to "real" fuel?

This thread is 7 years old. Read the Help Tip on top of the page. Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.