2 cycle oil/gas miX color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
(I hope this is in the right forum)

...Ok this may seem a bit odd but here goes.

I hitched up the boat today to take her down to the gas station to fill er 'up. Before I left the house I added a quart of 2 cycle oil, enough of oil added with 12 gallons of gas to make a 50:1 ratio. That was O.K

I made it down to the gas station and added 12 gallons of 93 octane, closed the cap, grabbed my receipt and off to the lake for a test run after some work done on the motor. (1971 115 hp Merc)

After I had the boat in the water I pumped the primer bulb and was watching the clear glass inline fuel filter...the gas entered and it was clear to a hazy color!

The question is...all of the gas I have ever mixed has been a bluish green tint...is this normal? maybe an odd brand of gas? I know it mixed well on the way to the lake on the trailer. Mind you I completely drained the tank the night before remade all of the fittings and new fuel lines/primer bulb.

Is this normal maybe? I was thinking of going back down with a gallon can and pre mix 1 gal and see the color? Or should I be going back to the gas station and having a few words?

It would seem odd for it not to mix.. Or am I just crazy:confused:

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: 2 cycle oil/gas miX color?

You said you drained the fuel tank? Maybe it's crude that was on the walls of the tank. Just a thought.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Crude is clear to a light haze in color? :confused:

I still do not understand why it did not mix to a bluish green tint. Do all 2 cycle oils mix to a different color? Even an extreme of being clear/hazy?

hans jensen

Cadet

First, I would disconect the fuel line from the engine and pump at least one gallon of the fuel into a clear and clean container to check the color. Sometimes it is difficult to see the color of the inline filters. Should be blue green, like so said. If it is then problem solved and put the fuel back into the tank. If not then go to the same pump and mix 1 gallon and check color.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Double posts are not welcome. See Non-Repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.