2 cycle engine oil

PMH

Cadet
What sould I look for when buying oil?<br /><br />I was at K-mart late the other evening and they only had two brands: <br /><br />Quick Silver, 1 gallon .... $18<br />Havoline, 1 gallon ..........$7<br /><br />What's so great about Quick Silver to warrant the price difference?<br /><br />Seems as though I'm ignorant. Please inform me.<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Patrick<br /><br />'86 Force 125<br />18 ft Bayliner Capri

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 cycle engine oil

Hmmm. Howdy, PMH.<br /><br />You were in WalMart and you didn't see SuperTech? That's what I use in my 2 strokes. Usually about $6.50 per gallon.<br /><br />Any outboard oil rated TC-W3 will work.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

PMH

Cadet

Sorry, JB. I was in K-mart. You know, that other store Wal-Mart forced into bankruptcy.<br /><br />You are right. Both were TCW-3. But why the price hike for the Quick Silver?<br /><br />Patrick

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A Johnson dealer told me today that Lubrimatic Outboard Oil was the cause of most problems he had seen at his place and it is also a TCW-3. He said it foamed instead of blending with the gas. I've been using it for years and have been pleased, especially with the Synthetic Lower Gear Lube. The dealer said if I ran Johnson Outboard Oil I'd have a lot better running engine and less oil fouling plugs. Anybody think there's anything to that statement?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Why skimp with an engine at stake? I've used Mercury and/or OMC 2 stroke oil for YEARS. I've had lots of engine problems too but none were lube related. It's cheap insurance.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

I commercial fish the Ohio River and have very good luck (have not noticed any difference) running the Super Tech from Wally World. The difference in price involves advertising and promotion. they are all good oils but they all meet the specs.

Scottj25

Seaman

The way I look at it if the motor is a Force Quick Silver is recommened and that is what I used, I have nothing bad to say about Quick Silver Plus. After all oil is cheap and a new O/B is not. I have read the Willy Marts brand is the same thing so you can (if you want to) go that way. :D

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a friend that has been a marine mechanic for 20+ years. He said that if I run anything but Mercury's oil in my Merc, he will not work on it. (Since he does not charge me I do what he says.) His reason is that Mercury makes oil to keep their enginges running, the others are make oil to make money. Yes Quick Silver is more expensive, but what in boating is not!!