2 brakes or 4

SeanM

Cadet
I have a tandem axle trailer that carries a heavy 23' cabin cruiser. Ican't find a brake drum that I need (8.5" on a 10" wheel), my question is if I pinch of the brake line to the front two brakes and just use the back two am I asking for trouble. I have to travel about 300miles with some VERY steep hills.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 brakes or 4

I do not know what you mean by heavy, But I think you would be asking for a lot of trouble. Not only in stopping, but with the law. <br /><br />Check the regulations for will your trailer is registered. many states have requirements for brakes on all axels for trailers over a certain weight.<br /><br />Have you tried http://www.championtrailers.com/ for the brake drum?

D

DJ

Don't do it! If you have an accident, you are absolutely at fault.<br /><br />Also, tandem trailers with brakes on only one axle tend to lift the unbraked axle in panic stops. Now you face the possibility of a blowout due to the added weight on the two tires remaining on the ground.

SeanM

Cadet

Thanks for the quick responses. Your responses are what I expected, but not what I wanted to hear. I just moved and really want to get my boat to my new residence. Oh well back to looking for the brake drum. Or replacing the axles or....???<br /><br />Any sugestions....?

93evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know anyone out that way.Good luck with Champion.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

SeanM, have you checked with your local marinas for parts for your trailer? If you know the make of the trailer, some body at a marina must have some clue and be able to supply you with at least a phone number of a trailer dealer or manufacturer.<br /><br />I was looking for bearings and seals for my trailer. The bearings were easy to find because they had part numbers on them and they crossed over to numbers that I could find at Canadian Tire much cheaper then at a marina. The seals were difficult becuase there was NO numbers left on them. I messured them - I.D.,O.D., and width and then found the cross over number at: www.championtrailers.com . <br />With that part number, the seals were also a day away from C.T.C. but you might luck out at a rv dealer too. <br /><br />With the dimensions you have, if you can at least find a part number, then it is an easy matter of locating it or having it ordered.<br />The only hitch will be seating the bearing races into the new drum. Better yet get new races and bearings while everything is apart and then that wheel is clean and repacked for winter storage.<br />Take care of your brakes, you need them. <br /><br />Mike.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat trailers are just like cars and trucks. They come set up for a reason. Don't alter them, you are asking for trouble if you do.<br />Just my .02 worth.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

While your at Champion Trailers getting new axles...check out the Turbo-Lube hubs. Give us a full report. Seriously, I would want at least 15" tires and dual axle brakes on a rig that size. Steep hills...it scares me! :(

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

SeanM,<br />I know its not Vancouver, but you may want to try Standen's in Calgary. They have an incredible stock of trailer parts and are a little closer than Ottawa.<br />The web site is:<br /> http://www.standens.com/index2.htm <br />Hope this helps.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Sean - The solution is convert to disk brakes. I fought drum brakes for 10 years (I have to dunk my trailer). Rust eats drum brakes even with a fresh water kit.<br /><br />Having said that I have had one tandem axle trailer (23' CC) and one triple axle trailer (28' cabin) where only one axle had brakes. When they were working I never had a problem.