2 Batteries

MrDon

Cadet
I’m resurrecting (not restoring, just want it running) an 89 Sunbird. Runs good no leaks looks pretty good.

None of the accessories work. Under dash wiring is a rats nest. I have good starting battery and an another good deep cycle. I’m thinking of just leaving the existing wiring in place and installing the deep cycle under the dash (there’s plenty of space) and putting new wiring to the breakers and switches for accessories This would give me 2 independent systems.

other than Not charging the front battery Why else shouldn’t I do this? If the deep cycle gets low I still still get home and plug it in. I just do t want to undertake a full retiring project and I’m on a fixed income.

by the way, I’m retired public safety communications and have good working knowledge of basis electronics and wiring. I retired in ‘94 so my experience isn’t current, but it’s about the same age of the boat.

Thanks DON

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the same situation as you with a new to me boat and a rats nest under the dash. I'm no expert but I would put buss bars under the dash for positive and negative terminations, then run wires through fuses to what switches you want to use and how you want to use them. Battery switch in the rear, and buss bars there also. switch out wires one at a time from switches, fuses, lighting, instruments etc.to buss bars, take your time. Google has some nice diagrams as to what you can do. Good Luck.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You don't want to take a chance that there's a catastrophic battery failure and have it right there at your feet plus some battery's tend to put off some gasses out of the vents. Do it the right way wand run wires to a bus bar, also mounting it in the rear by the other battery will let you use a battery switch and have the ability to charge both battery's and have some extra battery power incase you need it. Safety First

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
why not do it right, add a second battery and a battery switch and then attack the rats nest of wiring?